This Disappears When Logged In

Hope Springs Eternal...

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Frognut, Mar 29, 2010.

1. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Just put the hide box over your under tank heater. The snake will be able to hide and still digest its food without exposing itself. The females usually don't have the egg problem (at least mine haven't) without the male. Keep in mind though, if a female BP has mated with a male, she can retain the sperm for a few months so if it is an adult female- you may find eggs one day. This is not a very common occurance, but it can happen. All in all, if you have a male that is fasting, as long as you don't panic, you will be able to get through it with no problems. Good luck-my fingers are still crossed for you.

2. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Only my twin can get away with saying that! :p

Good, so I can go to the show and not worry about what sex snake I get.

Thanks!! Still needed - I sooo hope I'm reading him right!

3. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I hope you are reading him right also emoticon-char-015.gif

On a side note, I think I'm wearing the girlfriend down on getting a snake as well :D I think once the old room-mate moves the rest of her stuff out and we move Buddy's enclosure in to that bedroom and I can prove to her that I can guarantee the snake won't escape I may be able to get one 3_2998745fc0a72067a0.gif

Sooo, not to hijack the thread, but, what would be the best size enclosure for an adult corn snake?

Attached Files:

4. Frognut

You're not hijacking....(I give permission :p)

I think they need a 20 gal long as adults. I looked at them a while ago because they were smaller, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A 20 long is fine for cornsnakes.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Personally, I love the reptile carpet (it's pretty much the same as the indoor/outdoor carpet), and so easy to keep clean. I keep two for each tank, so one can be used while the other is being cleaned (most are machine washable) the only downside is humidity - during a shed, I add a wet towel to the warm hide, and it seems to do the trick (in addition to my regular mistings) If you have a clever snake, they may figure out how to get under the mat though. 2 of the 3 ball pythons we have had do so.

Both of our Ball Pythons are housed in cages that are 48x12" approximately (one is a 55 gallon aquarium, one is a recommissioned cabinet we rescued from a dumpster and refurbished.)

While they are not very good climbers, and certainly not arboreal, they will explore their cage at night, so branches and other sturdy decor are fine. I have a thick, sturdy branch in mine that cannot be tipped or knocked about, and she does periodically coil up on it and imagine she is a green tree python. It's actually quite cute, even though she is only about 4 inches off the ground, and usually can't get all of her pudge on the branch. If you want, I can get some decent pictures of the cages we house or pythons in for you.

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Unless they get to be the size of Mr McConley's corn's.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Thank you very much Steph :D now I won't have to start my own thread for my info ;)

I went to the only pet store I would consider buying herps from to get some mealies for Buddy (he doesn't want roaches or crickets right now, only mealies, silly lizard ;)) and they had a couple baby rosy boas. I held them and they seemed really docile but very active. Has anyone had any experience with rosy boas? Are they usually more docile than other snakes? And, since they are smaller as adults than corns would a 20 long be OK for them as a permanent enclosure?

9. Frognut

I am sure this is a reference that I'm missing here....

If they are smaller than the corns I would think the 20 gal long would be okay -- unless they like to climb...

10. hennisntacanibal

Sorry. David m has these pics of his corn snakes and they are enormous! :)

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well, I haven't done any research on them yet, I'm just going by what the employee told me, and she said they only get to be around 3 1/2 feet and corns get to be around 6 feet. Guess I need to do some surfing and see what I can find out about rosy boas.

And on a side note, they wanted $125 for them, does this sound about right for one from a pet store?

12. David McConley

Stephanie- don't worry, you didn't really miss anything. Stefan and I were joking about my cornsnakes growing to enormous lengths and taking over the house/town/state. Just Stefan and Me being slightly deranged as usual. My corns are normal sized I promise. The longest one I have is around 4.5-5 feet in length. By the way everyone- they started breeding this week. So if there are viable eggs, I may have ball python eggs, corn snake eggs and baby boa constrictors slithering around the house. Woohoo I LOOOOOOOVE owning snakes. I am also still having my fingers crossed for you.

13. Frognut

Oh DUH!! I didn't recognize the last name - and it's right in his user name. I guess the few blond hairs I have took control :rolleyes:

14. hennisntacanibal

Hahaha we all have those moments.

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`ve carefully (carelessly)? made a career out of silly mistakes!

16. David McConley

Fear not Stefan- your ability to laugh at yourself ( and others occasionally) is one of your most endearing qualities. I love having friends like everyone on here that you can be yourself around.

17. hennisntacanibal

I like having friends who can help teach you to be confident in being yourself. We're all crazy about our slithery, slimy or scaly friends here, and we love it!

18. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Some more than others *tries hard not to laugh* HOXmasI013Angel-1.gif smileylol4.gif

Attached Files:

19. Frognut

Careful darling.... or the remaining RED hairs will come over and KICK BUTT! :D :p ;)

Oh - go ahead and laugh!! TRUST me when I say that is definitely NOT the blondest moment I have had.... but what's a few blond moments among friends!

Attached Files:

20. Frognut

Back to the hide question...