This Disappears When Logged In

Home Depot Plants

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Logan, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Okay. So the Home Depot out here is having a sale on Bromeliads and Orchids. They're both $5 each. My question is if anyone knows if they're chemically treated or if they're safe to put in with the new gecks and Toothles?

2. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

I got one for my mom yesterday. I do not feel well now after sniffing it...

3. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Allergies? One of my friends used to work for Depot and she said as far as she knows, no. But that's not a definite..

4. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

Wow I am REALLY feeling weird... I am light headed and my throat is sore and I have a weird cough. It started after I sniffed that plant... Maybe it is unrelated, But I do not know... Most likely unrelated though...

Do you know anything about spider mites? I need help ASAP knowing if I have them or not. please reply to my thread...

5. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I have no idea about spider mites at all..

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

most big retailers plants are heavily treated. I would give it a thorough wash and repotting before letting any animal live with it.

7. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I can check around to some of the smaller stores when I'm ready too, but idk if I'll find bromeliads there. Where does everyone else find theirs??

8. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

No clue what they might be treated with (or for) aside from plant pests. I've never seen bugs on bromeliads, have had scale insects on an orchid once. Easiest thing would be to spray them down thoroughly in the sink with warm water to wash off any residual chemicals.
    You can sometimes find good package deals of bromeliads on e-bay, and I've seen single plants at Wal-mart, Lowe's, occasionally the market as well.
    Orchids are almost always Phalaenopsis, easy to maintain in low light, and sometimes large plants are dirt cheap after the flowers have died and they still haven't sold.
    We have a $3 miniature orchid that's about to bloom now, will finally see what the flowers look like.

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Yea. There's one grocery store here that constantly sells orchids. I've never even been over to the plant section at the Depot until after I saw the display of broms. I wanted to see what they carried regularly. Wouldn't washing an orchid kill them? I always heard about how delicate they were..

10. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Phal's aren't delicate plants at all, though there some orchids that are very specific about their requirements. The delicate types aren't sold in regular stores though.

11. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Good to know!!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And just a point. Almost all commercially available live plants have been treated with a soup of pesticides and fungicides.

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

While not specifically from home Depot, I have bought and used a bunch of plants for reptiles. Just be sure to follow the advice given here, because its guaranteed that they have been treated with chemicals prior to their arrival at the store. I got a bunch from lowes last year when they were closing them out for winter at a dollar a piece. I didn't need them right away, so I jist rinsed them off and kept them watered for a while, and had no issues.

14. Logan

Logan Elite Member

That's a thought. I just don't know how well they'd keep just hanging out here. The humidity is nice and low in this place in the winter.

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Lol, all my humidity guages that aren't in cages bottom out every winter. They won't read anything lower than 15%, and they might sit there for weeks at a time. My plants do fine, but you might need to water them more often. And they will help some with your humidity, though you wouldn't notice in my house.

16. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Probably wouldn't notice here either. I've never measured the humidity I just made know its pretty low. And summer is the opposite. Ha.