This Disappears When Logged In

Holy Preggo Batman!!!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Darkbird, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I have/am considering it, but I'm guessing the vet will say the same thing. I also have a dog that has suddenly started not being able to keep food down, and a cat that has lost a lot of weight recently, so I'm facing a bunch of unplanned vet bills. Without getting too detailed, I'm just plain short of money right now, and I have to set certain priorities. Vehicle repairs, vet bills, regular bills, etc. And, not to sound uncaring because thats not the case, but at the end of the day this was a random feeder that only got held back because she was thought to be pregnant. This has been going on for 3 weeks at this point and it is time to give her some peace, one way or the other.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I wonder if its a tumor? please let us know the results of your necropsy. As a feeder breeder myself I would be very interested to know what was going on with her.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Understandable, hopefully she's not in much pain. Sorry to hear about your dog and cat.

4. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Poor girl, I can understand putting her down I mean it's hard but there is definitely something really wrong with her. I am also interested in the necropsy so please tell us what you find. Maybe we will all learn alittle something from it.
    I'm also sorry about your cat and dog, sick pets are never a good thing.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sorry everyone, I didn't have a chance to get to this last night. Wife's brakes went south during the day so i had to spend the afternoon and evening wrenching on those and a couple other things on her van, and it just didn't leave me enough time to do anything other than my normal wellness checks and feeding the lizards. And since there's interest, I will post details of the necropsy. Just keep in mind that I've never done one before, unless you count butchering game animals when I used to hunt. And thanks for the sympathy for my dog and cat, they both happen to be the oldest of the fur pets, and are really "my" pets in the family. So I'm a bit stressed, and this just after spending 650 at the vet last month when 2 of my other dogs got into a fight and one got injured. So yeah, a little rough around here right now.

6. lizardhoarder139

Well I hope things get better for you soon :)

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, I just got done taking care of her. Good thing I didn't work late, as she appeared to have gone downhill rapidly since I checked her this morning. The rest of this post will be rather graphic, so for anyone who doesn't want to know the details, I'll just say this was not a pregnancy after all, and her suffering is over. And I would have swore she was just going to have a big litter, her belly was nice and symmetrical right up until a few days ago. Oh, and my dog is doing better, looks like all we needed to do was get her off one of the meds she was on for pain. Well, this is where it gets yucky, so read on at your own risk.

After euthanizing her, I made an incision from approximately the lower part of her ribcage to nearly the base of her tail. When I actually broke thought the skin over her abdomen, a LOT of semi-clear yellowish tinted fluid the consistency of water came out, to the point I had to stop for a moment to get a couple pieces of paper towel to prevent it from running off the sheet of plastic and onto my wooden work bench. It was coming from her right side, just beneath the skin. I found 2 more areas with the same fluid, though not as large, on her other side. There was also a swollen organ I couldn't identify, unless it was the kidney I couldn't find, and this accounted for the balance of her swollen appearance. When i cut into this mass, I got what must have been over an ounce of material that was light yellowish, and had the consistency of pancake batter, for lack of a better comparison. I did hunt around trying to find some of the other major organs I could identify. The liver appeared normal, but the kidney I was able to find, if that's what it was, was very dark and misshapen, really only having the vague shape of a kidney. At this point I decided that, due to my inexperience, I wasn't going to get anything else useful out of the situation, so I called it quits. No idea really what caused all this, never had a situation like this before. My best guess at this point would be a tumor on one of the kidneys, and everything else was caused from that. But I welcome any input.

8. lizardhoarder139

Hmmmm, that sounds like a LOT of puss and infection. Idk what would have caused it but I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore. It's crazy that it wasn't a huge litter after all. I'm really curious on what happened. I'm wondering if the kidney that you didn't find did form a tumor, and it took over the kidney. Then from there caused the infection, followed by a swollen tummy.and all the puss.
    I am not an expert, this is just what popped into my head. I just know that it would have interested me because I hunt and clean everything we kill. So thank you for letting us know what you found and going ahead and doing it.
    Poor girl, at least she's not suffering anymore.

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Rats are FAMOUS for abscesses. And the gunk your describing sounds like an abscess to me. I've only dealth with skin abscesses, but I've known of cases with internal ones, mouth, and ear. To me, that would also explain the thinner puss too. However, its definitely possible it was a tumor as well. Feeders are totally not the best genetically speaking.

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Yeah, this one threw me completely off. I've had rat's develop tumors before, and those always get culled, and the offspring relegated to feeder status, so it doesn't happen often in my stock. But the only indication I had here didn't really come until the last few days when the swelling became more pronounced on one side than the other. I guess next time I'll wait berfore posting a cute picture of a pregnant rat until after she's had the litter. Kinda feel bad now.

11. Logan

Logan Elite Member

You didn't know. It can be hard to feel the little tiny babies...

12. lizardhoarder139

It's not your fault, she just looked very pregnant. We all thought the same thing you did, a big litter, so don't feel too bad. There was no way of you knowing she was sick. Don't beat yourself up :)
    And yes an abscess is also very possible.

13. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I am glad she is not suffering and you did the right thing. I would have waited as well. She really did look preggy.