This Disappears When Logged In

Holy Preggo Batman!!!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Darkbird, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

20140904_191813.jpg 20140904_192105_3.jpg
    Had to share this girl. Hope she pops soon, at this point she waddles.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That is one pregnant rat.

3. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

Omg!! :O she is huge! Haha

4. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

wow!!! poor girl, she's absolutely stuffed with babies! I bet she's ready to get this over with :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Stand back!
    It's gonna BLOW!

6. Logan

Logan Elite Member

I applaud you on the ability to breed for food. I couldn't. But then, I like rats and mice as pets. But yea, DEFINITELY super ready to pop. Tribble looked nothing like that the night before she popped. Definitely not as buldgy. She's a pet store mouse we bought as a pet and ended up being knocked up when we got her. She had 6 perfect sized babies. So, my bet is either largish rat pups orrrr a lot of them.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

A little update here, I'm actually getting fairly worried about this girl at this point. She has still not had her litter as of this morning when I left for work. This is a first time mother, and out of the hundreds of rats I've bred, I've never seen one get this large relative to her body mass. Going to separate her into her own tub when I get home if she hasn't dropped by then, both to give her some privacy from the others and to make it simpler for me to monitor her.

8. mshrmheadcharge

Good idea, I hope she has them soon.

9. Logan

Logan Elite Member

Its totally possible you have a dead pup blocking everyone else... or that she's holding out to be alone as well...

10. lizardhoarder139

That's a good idea. Yea keep a close eye on her because it does seem alittle strange. Hopefully it's not a dead pup like someone already mentioned, that would cause bloating which might be why she's so big... I hope it all turns out ok tho!!

11. mshrmheadcharge

I don't think she looks bloated at all, just super pregnant. She is going to drop those pups soon. I bet she is fine, and is going to have some big babies, plus she looks small herself.

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

She is small, as I said first time mom, and wasn't even supposed to be a breeder. She has the size, but she came out of a mixed bin of feeders, and had a fairly sweet disposition, so I decided to pull her and let her ha e the litter. She now has her own private tub, and wasted no time making a nest spot in the litter. Just hoping for the best at this point.

13. mshrmheadcharge

I bet she will be fine, the nesting is a great sign! Don't worry too much.

14. aromatherapykim

aww I hope she pops soon!

15. lizardhoarder139

That's a good sign. She will be ok :) and I'm sure she will have them soon.

16. aromatherapykim

well?? updates?

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sorry, I haven't forgotten this thread, but the only real update is that nothing has changed, except she has now noticeably lost weight, everywhere except her middle, of course. She is still eating some and drinking, but I'm not entirely sure she is still defecating. When I get home from work I'll be checking her over very closely, and see if she's in any distress. Sadly I may have to euthanize her, which is gonna suck, but I'm not going to let her suffer.

18. lizardhoarder139

Aww man :( how long exactly has she been pregnant so far?? Sounds like a while. It's a good idea to look her through. I hope she turns out ok, but sometimes things happen.

19. mshrmheadcharge

Do you have to put her down? You could always take her to a vet.

20. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Well, this will probably be the final update on this girl. After holding her, and going over her very closely, I noticed a couple things that were new. One is that her abdomen is no longer symmetrical, one side is noticably different than the other. The other thing is that she seems to have gone blind. Her eyes have a slightly cloudy look, and she seemed to be interacting with her surroundings by scent. I also couldn't find any fresh poo, so I think whatever is going on may be blocking her intestines at this point. So sadly, I've decided that if nothing has changed when i get home from work, I will euthanize her via cervical dislocation. I may also perform an amateur necropsy, to see if I can determine what happened.