This Disappears When Logged In

Hognosed Size Difference.

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by titus, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Though not the best pictures. The'll hopfully give you an idea of the growth pattern in hognosed snakes. Both snakes are about 10 months old, the male pictured first, then the female.

Attached Files:

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow! Does that mean the females are able to breed before the males? Or is this just so that they can produce the babies?

3. titus

I think you saw it reversed as to whats posted. The male in the picture is about 50cm, while the female is only about 20cm. The males grow quickly compared to the females, males can reach adult size at 12-18 months. The females lag behind in size for a long time, but can end up as much as 6-8 inches longer as adults.

4. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

:eek: The first picture looks like a smaller snake due to the angle/view. So, do they reach maturity at the same age?

5. Cid

Cid Elite Member

yeah my hognose (allele) is a wee snake, at over a year and some months is only around a foot or less long. so probably a female. (but is now getting better and more food than before so she might grow a bit faster than she would have)

6. titus

No, Females take about a year longer to mature. I wouldn't breed many female snakes before the age of 3 for some species even a 4-5 year wait is normal. While I've mated males at just under 1 year of age for small species, like cornsnakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.