This Disappears When Logged In

Hognose Won't Feed Unless Scented

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, Jun 24, 2011.

1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I've had this western hognose (Scylla) for over a year now, probably closer to two, and she's always been a terrible eater. She didn't eat for a while when I first got her, tried f/t, brained, live and eventually had to scent with a toad I caught outside. She ate the scented pinkie right up and continued to eat well for a few months without scenting. She randomly quit eating again and didn't eat for somewhere around four or five months (I honestly don't know how she survived, she's so tiny). I tried burmating her for a month on the advice of a hognose breeder. Took her out of burmation and she still wouldn't eat. Couldn't find frogs outside at the time cause it was cool weather. Now it's warm again and we have frogs, so I touch the pinkies to the frog's tummy for just a second then let the frog go and she'll eat the pink no problem. I'm just wondering if any of you have an idea on how to get her off scented pinkies. It's gonna be a hastle when cool weather comes around again, and I don't like rubbing a mouse with a wild caught frog. It could have anything on it.

Oh, the whole time she didn't eat, she didn't shed either. She lost weight and got very lethargic. Scared me to death. She's eaten three times now, all scented. I've offered unscented and she won't touch them. She also shed, and she's gotten much more energy. If scenting the rest of her life is what I have to do, I'll do it, but I don't like the risks.

Ohoh, cage specs. Warm side is usually between 88-90, cool side is around 85. Temps get between 70-72 at night. She has a hide on each side and her water bowl is in the middle. She's on aspen and tends to burrow. Her cage is kind of like a critter keeper thing, All Living Things® Critter Totes - Fish Care - Fish - PetSmart, but its 14x9x5. She was in a 20 gallon long, but the hognose breeder I talked to said she would do better in a smaller cage while she is small.

Thanks in advance :) Sorry for the long post btw ^_^

-Lauren

2. Notafrog

Notafrog Active Member

sounds like you need a pet frog. :)

3. graduationxday

lololol. That's what I told my parents. My dad said if I bring in any more pets, he leaves... He said that like three pets ago though haha. A frog is one pet I've never had.... ;)

But I'd really love to get her eating easily, you know? I just had to search the backyard for somebody to scent with. Found a massive frog. He was very pretty. Rubbed the mouse on him, thanked him for his service, and let him back go, haha. It's such a hastle thoughhhhh

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've heard of people using fish also! You could always try fish and if it works then you can easily get fish during the winter at the grocery store.

You'll have to put up pictures of Scylla, I just love Hognoses!

5. graduationxday

Fish is a good idea. I have a turtle too so the fish wouldn't be just useless little... fish xD We could keep them in the turtle tank until needed. Is there a particular kind of fish that seems to work best? I use rosy minnows as feeders for the turtle. Would those work to scent the pinkies? If Scylla's not too picky for them, that is. She probably will be, but it's worth a shot. And Jeremy (the turtle) would love the snack.

And Scylla's my avatar picture! But I just looked through my albums and I surprisinly don't have any of her! I even got the ball python that I do have pictures of wayyyy after I got her. Weird. I'll upload some right away ^-^

6. mld

The guy that used the salmon, actually bought a piece of salmon! If it works then just put your Frozen pinkies in the freezer along with a piece of frozen salmon!

I'm sure that minnow would work too, they wouldn't go to waste if you feed them to your turtle!

7. graduationxday

I was thinking live fish lol. Fish like humans eat didn't even cross my mind! I'm getting Jeremy some fish soon so I suppose I could try both :)

I have pictures of Scylla in my album now btw

8. graduationxday

If I do go with getting a frog of some sort to keep as a pet, what types don't give off toxins on their skin? What kinds are best for scenting? Anyone know? Maybe I should post this in the frog forum...

It's not like I'd just be using the frog by the way, I'd love him like I love all my other herps too ^^

9. mld

I would find out what type they would eat in the wild!

10. graduationxday

I've been looking for it. It's hard to find. And then, would pet stores have that kind? Stubborn Scylla. Apparently easier than Eastern Hoggies though. I'll do more research, but I was hoping someone here would already know what frogs don't produce toxins, or which are best for scenting, or something along those lines. I figured there'd be a list online somewhere, with how many people have had to scent, but I can't find one. Weird.

11. mld

You may have to sent with fish!

12. graduationxday

Yeah, I might, but I know she'll take a pink scented with frog.. Idk. We'll just see I guess

13. graduationxday

I'm thinking a Northern Leopard Frog would be a good idea to keep as an in-house scenter if the fish doesn't work. Their natural distributions overlap significantly, and leopard frogs are often kept as pets. I haven't yet looked into the frogs' toxicity though, if they excrete stuff from their skin that could hurt Scylla or not.
    Anyone have anything to say about the Northern Leopard Frog as a scenter though?

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Many people who keep hoggies just keep a dead toad in the freezer to scent with.

15. Erwynn

Erwynn Elite Member

Yea I was gonna say why not use the frozen salmon idea with a frozen frog/toad? You're in alabama so it shouldn't be too hard to find a frog already culled for eating, just keep it in the freezer with your pinkies?

16. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

That's what I used to do with Beau, my male western hognose. However, I spoke with a hoggie breeder a while back and he gave me a couple of really good tips.

All you need is a can of albacore tuna fish (in water), and those little ice cube trays.

Drain the water onto the tray and freeze.

Every feeding all you need to do is get a cube and sent the rodent.

So far it's worked like a charm, so much so that I eventually stop scenting all together.

17. mld

Thats a great idea! If you run out of frogs, have a tuna sandwich! lol ;
    but save the juice