This Disappears When Logged In

Hognose Feeding Prob

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by kitty, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitty

kitty New Member

Hey,

I have a 6 month old Western Hognose. I have only had him a month.

He has fed once in the time ive had him. Im not sure what to do to get him eating more regularly. Can anyone help? I left him for a while when I got him etc but now feeding is becoming a problem. A problem feeder is new to me, my other snakes never had problems.

He is on aspen and I dont want to feed him on that just in case. But taking him out and popping him in a tub makes him stressed and he doesnt eat that way......

Help please :(

Kat x

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I had the same issue with a hog I bought at a show in November. He actually ate for the first time 2 weeks ago. 3 months it took to get him to feed. We tried every type of prey not to mention f/t, fresh killed, live, scented with anoles, and nothing worked. Finally 1 day he became very active. We went and got a mouse and he ate right away. I keep boas so I am not familiar with hogs so I assumed he went into a brumation period. He is now feeding weekly. Keep trying weekly and keep an eye that he doesn't loose weight or become dehydrated. In the 3 months ours went without feeding he actually looked like he never lost a gram of weight.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Try bumping up the temps and feeding off a dish in the cage. A lot of hognosed will not eat well if the temps are below the 90 F on the warm side under the basking spot or if they feel threatened by being moved out of their cage.

4. Tattoo14

Tattoo14 New Member

All 4 of my hogs start getting picky with their food when the weather cools down, they dont eat as often or as much. Regardless of the tank temps, its almost as if they can tell that they should be brumating.

Id feed your hog right in his tank, i feed all mine that way, i just lay down a paper towel and place their food on it. keeps them from swallowing the aspen bedding, a couple of mine will occasionally drag their food off the paper towel and ingest some bedding, they usually cough it back up in a couple minutes whenever it happens. i wouldnt stress it. you have more to worry about with the hair on the mouse than the bedding IMO. a couple of my hogs cough up hair balls, hogs in general can have a hard time digesting hair, so pick feeders with the minimal amount possible!

5. Catherine

Catherine Member

I brought home a pair of western hognoses this summer and when the weather went cool the male stopped eating. I increased the tank temperature and the two of them have been eating like pigs ever since.
    I assume the temperature triggered a hibernation respose. These are my first hognose snakes so I am still learning.
    The western hognose is an amazing snake isn't it.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.