This Disappears When Logged In

Hognose Behavior

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Cid, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cid

Cid Elite Member

do any of your hognoses get ****y after eating a meal? now my hognose will eat 2 fuzzies and then make a bee line to the nearest hide and one day she didn't really zoom off like normal so I dropped another fuzzy nearly on her (it gets her attention and feeds almost instantly, after hissing from a near miss) and she moved and started hissing when I made a move to touch her or pick up the fuzzy. hissed a few times and even dry striked at me. I thought it was hilarious, but she probably didn't.

2. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

Mine hissed at me the first time right after she'd eaten. I was moving her out of the box I fed her in.. She wasn't very happy with me. Haha. Most snakes aren't in a good mood after they eat though, I think, so yeah

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I have a pair that will huff and puff even if I come near their box, though my largest male will rarely hiss and outside of trying to get away won't put on too much of a show even while being handled. It sounds like you have a common hognose, all bark, no bite. It may calm down in time. But then, really their defensive show just makes them more interesting.

4. Cid

Cid Elite Member

I agree, they are very interesting creatures. I also recently re-did my hognoses tank and will post a pic. I mixed blue sand with the current orange/brown sand from the petsotre to make an interesting mix of swirls and such, but the blue dust turned my snake blue, so in that regard as long as there seems to be no problem I won't switch it out. the front half of the tank is just open sand land and in the back is a mix of sand, douglas fir bark and various sticks and things to climb in and out of, also to hide. there are two hides on each side as well. I dont really need to have the plant in there, but I like it and it adds to the décor

[​IMG]

it looks better from the side, but the glass makes for an awful glare and the lighting in my apt is just horrible. i still need to get better thermometers and hygrometers, the one in the pic is just for an estimated guess

5. graduationxday

My hognose's tank substrate is simpy non-adhesive shelf liner at the moment. The tank's a 10 gallon cause she's so small, so I only have one hide...
    When she gets more comfortable with me and her new house I'm going to move her into a 20 gal with cedar mulch probably, and create a moist hide and all that jazz

6. Cid

Cid Elite Member

from my research hognoses don't need to have that much humidity, no more than 40%
    mine seems to be very happy and the humidity is around 35%, she hides in either hide, and seems to like the one on the left with the tiny flowers. you cansee her looking out, and when I tried to hold her she withdrew and was flickering her toung through a very tiny hole, very very very amusing

7. graduationxday

I'm just gonna have it in case she ever decides to use it. If it's just sitting there being useless I'll probably take it out haha.
    And that does sound quite amusing x]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.