This Disappears When Logged In

Hogg Size

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Pyretta Blaze, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pyretta Blaze

Pyretta Blaze New Member

Hey *new to the forum* just wondering if anyone else owns any hogg island boas on this forum?? I got mine in July. I know they are smaller boas, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea at the rate at which they grow? (obviously kept at the right temperature and well fed) I can't wait til she get's bigger!! I think they are beautiful snakes. :D

2. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Hiya! Welcome to the forum. You mind if I ask where you got the Hogg, and how much? I've been inetersted in them for a bit because of the smaller size and pretty coloration.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to HC. As you mentioned proper temp and regular feeding will contribute to growth. Tank size will also come into play,,,not to mention genetics. A hogg is considered a dwarf island race of boas and generally will not get larger than 3 ft.

4. Pyretta Blaze

Pyretta Blaze New Member

Kika, it's sorta funny that you ask where I got it from and how much... :rolleyes: on most sites I am considered the enemy, constantly berrated by hobbyists... I am the dreaded "Pet store worker"... well I knew I would have to come clean eventually, lol. I can never go on to any forum where "my kind" is not verbally dragged through the mud.. lol.. ah well.. there you know now. Hopefully this forum will be different..

Getting back to the original questions.. I got it from one of my suppliers - he got it from a private breeder... I don't know what they would regularly go for (I've been told 325-350?) (Canadian btw) I got mine for 200.. she's a beaut.. I got to pick her out.. :D

5. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Hi there and welcome to the forum!! Hogg Islands are a great choice, we have two females at present...as Ken said they are one of the smaller boas, but they get bigger than 3ft....the females will get to 6ft maybe a bit bigger with males a little smaller than that.

On a good feedind pattern, but not over doing it they will be almost as big as they will get after 3-5 years.

Hope this helps

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

As Joe said 5-6ft is the norm, and they are more slender than the larger boas (B.c.i etc), however they can grow bigger if it has been crossed with a normal boa, which seems to be quite common these days. This a sad factor, as hoggs are believed to be extinct in the wild, and cross-breeding in captivity will only eventually lead to complete extinction.

Here's a couple of pics of our girls, they are stunning snakes, and very docile. :)

Attached Files:

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herpcenter, Pyretta Blaze!
    Unfortunately most of us have numerous horror stories about "the dreaded Pet store worker". However we do realize that there are good ones out there as well. Its just the complaints that you usually hear about. For some reason when things are done well people don't say anything.
    This forum IS different. :D Nobody here is going to slam anyone. ;)

8. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Welcome to HC!! :D
    Belive it or not...I like the ladies (and one gent) that work with the animals at our Pet Co. And we ALL know the horrors of Pet Co!! ;) :p
    There really are alot of uninformed pet shop workers out there and it's just sad that THEY themselves don't care enough about the animals to WANT to learn how to care for them. And besides, there are plenty of pet shop owners that need to get smacked up side the head just for being so greedy and selfish to make a buck at the sake of the animals lives!!
    Ok....I'll hop off my soap box now! :D lol

9. Pyretta Blaze

Pyretta Blaze New Member

I completely agree that there are many negligent stores out there.. our team "staff" does our best to educate our customers so that regardless where they go, whatever store, they're armed with the best possible weapon, knowledge, we also try to encourage customers to do their own research, so they are not completely relying on one person for information. As we know in the herp industry there are many opinions of doing something, what's the best way is the hard thing to figure out, we try to help people form their own opinion from what they learn.. lol.. K, now I think I'm done my speech!!

This forum is really awesome everyone's really friendly.. thank you for all the help with questions and the pics of the Hogg's were really great.. really pretty..

Thanks!!

10. Kikai

Kikai Elite Member

Pyretta, you won't have anyone here slamming you for being a "pet store worker". We'll sing your praises to have someone knowledgeable in the field! There ARE pet stores that do a good job and that hire good people. Unfortunately, alot of the "chain" pet stores hire inexperienced but well meaning people who want to work in a pet store, but aren't up on herp care. Puppies and kittens don't need much different care than we do, ie: food, water, a place to sleep, shelter and medical care. Herps have dietary restrictions, UVB, UVA, supplements, live food in alot of cases, etc . You should refer anyone purchasing a reptile to this site. :)
    Do you have any pics of your Hogg? I'd love to see them. Bitis's are the only ones I've seen pics of recently, and she does have some stunning snakes. I love the speckles.

11. Pyretta Blaze

Pyretta Blaze New Member

Unfortunatley I have no pics of my snakes on my comp right now.. we just moved and during the move I seem to have lost my digital camera!! :eek: So I have no way of putting pics on my comp just yet, when I get my film developed from my regular cam (with pics of my snakes on it) I am going to get a CD that will have the pics on it. :D

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Thanks Kathy! :)

Pyretta, glad you're enjoying the forum so far,. can't wait to see those pictures! Hope you find your camera soon!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.