This Disappears When Logged In

Hogg Island Boa Temperament & Price

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by Orca, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I have a customer that is interested in getting a Hogg Island Boa but I want to know how well they do in captivity before I order one. If a species is intensive or difficult to care for in captivity, I try to talk people out of purchasing them or make sure they really know what they are in for.

How difficult are these snakes to keep in captivity? Do they readily eat frozen / thawed? Do they stress easily? Do they tolerate handling? Any ideas on how much they would retail for?

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

here is the care sheet:

Hogg Island Boa (Boa constrictor imperator) Caresheet

from the little research i've done it might be hard to find "pure" specimens bred in captivity; and they are supposedly extinct in the wild. i have no clue on price, but my guess would be expensive.

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I've skimmed the care sheet on them to get basics but thanks. I just wanted to know if anyone on here had personal experience with them.

4. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

I have a freind that keeps one. I don't know much about them but he paid $175.00 from a breeder and it was a 14" baby when he got it. I'm guessing that would make retail in the range of $300-$400. He tells me its temperament is like that of a RTB. I've held it a couple of times and its a very docile snake.

5. jpichie

jpichie Well-Known Member

I think I paid $250CAN off my breeder friend, and assured me she was 100% Hog Island. Mine is also very docile, has been since the day I got her. She never struck at me, never missed a FT feeding. She is the cuddliest snake ever. Here are some older pics:

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Awesome, thanks for the replies!

7. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Beautiful boa, I want.