This Disappears When Logged In

Hissing?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by cman, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cman

cman Elite Member

Just now I got home and went in to see how Mongo was doing and his light has a timer and it turns off at 8 and turns on at 8 anyway. I saw him crowling around on the top contaner thing so I opened the door to hold him and I started talking to him you know what I mean "Hey there buddy how ya doin" and I reached in and grabbed him and he hissed. :eek: I stoped and then tried it again ang he hissed again and looked right at my hand and I didnt feel like getting bit so I just said forget it and left but I dont get it y he hissed did I do somthing wrong :confused:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Have you ever taken him out after lights out? Maybe he was startled. When is the last time you fed him?

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

No need to panic just yet! Hissing can occur for many reasons - he/she may be coming into shed, may be due a feed? Or you may just have startled him/her, or it may just be an "off" day.

More serious situations involve things such as mites - how long have you had him/her? But don't immediately jump to this conclusion and worry yourself, however it is good practice to always keep your eye out for things like that.

See how his/her temper is now, and don't worry, if you do get a bad reaction and your snake strikes a royal python really won't do you any harm. :)

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

That's the funny thing about ball pythons, they are a relatively lazy snake and sometimes I get the feeling that the hiss is just their way of saying "But I don't want to Have to crawl around right now, I'm tired."
    What I usually do is open the screen lid and talk to them first, If they are under their hide I remove it but don't immediately pick up the snake. I think they are just not morning snakes. lol

5. Rocky's Dad

Rocky's Dad Elite Member

I agree with Jay - take the screen off, let them know you're there. If they are in the hide and you're getting them out, lift the hide out of the cage, but give the snake a little while out in the open before you pick it up. The only time mine has ever struck or really hissed in an agitated manner was when my wife picked up the hide and imediately tried to grab him. I think he had been asleep and was very startled. Let them know you're there, smell you, etc - then they will understand that they are not in danger.

6. cman

cman Elite Member

ok thanxs I held him again today and I had no problems. I think it was just a bad day cuz he eats in like 3 or 4 days and he shed about 2 weeks ago and ya I think he was cranky cuz the next morning I have a bunch of leaves in the far corner and he goes there when he wants to be alone cuz he knows when I am looking for him I dont go there to offten lol. Ive had him for about well hey the 4th was our 6 month annevirsary how ever u spell it so ya 6 months hey this is off subject but I got him on 4/4/04 cool lol I will stop talking now I just had some caffine so ya bye thanxs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.