This Disappears When Logged In

Hissing Roaches

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Poison, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Poison

Poison Elite Member

need a little help on breeding these guys i went to the pet store to get dubia but i only asked for roaches and they gave me hissing lol i guess next time ill be more specific. but any ways is it the same as breeding dubia and how fast do they breed?

2. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

They are much slower to grow up and breed compared to dubia, around 6 months. They like slightly higher temps and they love fruit along with a good roach "chow", so whatever you would feed your dubia is fine. Stay away from gutloads as a maintenance diet, you want something relatively lower in calcium and protein than some gutloads have.

Good luck! :)

3. Poison

Poison Elite Member

im pretty sure there full grown already. do you think 1 male and 2 females would be enough to start a colony?

4. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Sure, it might be slow going at first but should get up to speed in 6 months or so, introducing some new males at that time might help with keeping the colony healthy. Good luck!

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

ok ill pick up some more males and females and i also ordered 50 dubias for $14 so hopefully they take off soon

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

i just saw the male and females hooked up but i lifted up the food bowl and they fell off and separated hopefully it didnt ruin any thing

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Actually slower growing species may be better for those with a small number of animals. Dubias tend to breed so fast that populations explode and often overwhelm keepers, even those with a decent amount of animals. Either way, it may be a good idea to keep males and females separate and to have another breeder bin available to help better control populations. Just an idea :)

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

female just laid some babies :D
    P1020879_zps8f7a775b.jpg
    P1020880_zpsb2b2045f.jpg

9. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Congrats! :)

10. Poison

Poison Elite Member

thank you she laid over 50

11. Furless

Furless New Member

How big are newborn hissers?

12. Poison

Poison Elite Member

im not sure they were bigger then i thought. the biggest adult is about 3 inches

13. GildedMonkey

GildedMonkey New Member

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time any one has asked this question but will the hissing roaches live outside their container? And will the infest my home? Ok two questions

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

It all depends on where you live... So what's your general location?

15. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

If you live in a cold area during winter it's not likely they would infest. However, there's always the will to survive so there's no guarantee.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thy would live just fine here in az and most of the southern states.

17. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

I love my hissers. I bought about 50 just as an experiment. With little effort I have them reproducing. The most remarkable thing is that I'm keeping them at quite low humidity... 20-40% even. I've been keeping them in my garage, bringing them in only when it gets way too hot. My favorite specimen is a particularly aggressive male - about 4" long, beautiful feathery antennae, and a mega fierce hiss!

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I breed hissers - the colony is actually big enough to need 2 large bins now, and they are breeding quite steadily. I feed out of it regularly. They seem to do well in lower humidity (I have serious fruit fly problems if I allow humidity to get too high) as long as you keep them warm. I have yet to have any hissers escape, but I have dropped a couple of my other roaches (dubias and turkestans) from time to time, and they don't last long at all. I generally have a high spider population in my house, and my cats also like to eat/play with the roaches. Having a free-range bearded dragon in the room where the bins are kept helps too, as she will gladly chase down any escaped roaches, lol. If they make it out of that room, the cats will eat the small ones, and play the big ones to death. I find carcasses, usually pounced, flattened, and punctured.