This Disappears When Logged In

Hissing Roach Breeding

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Horrorphile, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Horrorphile

Horrorphile Active Member

Hello,

I have had a group of adult Hissers (about 20 female and 10 male) for the past 3 months that are kept in a tote at 90 degrees. I haven't had any reproduction to date. They have a constant supply of water crystals and food (fish flakes, cat/dog food, chick mash, raw fruits and veggies) which they slowly eat but not as voraciously as I have read that other people's will eat. They seem to be doing fine and I have had zero die in the time that I have had them. Is it normal to take this long to see any sign of nymphs? I started a dubia colony about 6 months ago and have had no problems with reproduction for that colony. Any suggestions on what I could do differently?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Too warm maybe? I just started with these myself, and I'm currently just keeping them in my snake room without any extra heat, so they're staying around 80°. Mine are dropping nymphs regularly, but most were adults culled out of an established colony, so a lot of the females were already preggo. All I really know about them is that it supposedly takes longer to get a colony up and running than with the dubias.

3. Horrorphile

Thanks for the suggestion Darkbird. I've heard the same (that they take longer than dubia) but at 3 months it seems a bit long to see nothing. Just curious, what are you feeding yours?

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Feeding a mix of my home made dry mix, which is nothing more than rodent feed dust and chicken laying mash, assorted leafy greens, and pieces of fruit and carrot for moisture. They really seem to go wild on the greens. As for the time frame your dealing with right now, I would think there would have been some nymphs by now. Were they all adults when you got them?

5. Horrorphile

Thanks again for the info Darkbird. They were all adults when I got them. I might try feeding mine a higher percentage of fresh greens and maybe play around with the temp a bit. The fact that I haven't had a single one die off makes me think there isn't something totally off in their husbandry but there must be one little thing that is stopping them from reproducing. I also might try to pick up another group at an upcoming expo and put them in a separate tub and see if they do better.

6. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

Turn down the lights and play some Barry White :)

7. Horrorphile

Haha now why didn't I think of that. :D

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My experience is that they just take longer, a LOT longer, to get going.