This Disappears When Logged In

Hiii! Just Need Some Opinions..

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by lexi3, Jun 29, 2010.

1. lexi3

lexi3 New Member

Hey everyone! my albino green & I are new to HC -- pics will be up VERY soon :)

I'm about to start building a custom 7x3x3 enclosure for her, & have a couple questions about lighting, heating & substrate.

1) Does anyone have any ideas on covering the light bulb inside the tank? I've read to use wire mesh, but i feel like if she pushed she could still get fairly close...or am I wrong? (I'm trying to avoid dome lights as this cage will become part of my living room's decor)

2) What would you suggest for heating a tank that large? Will an under the tank heating pad suffice?

3) I've always used newspaper for the substrate. I love the convenience, however, like I said before, she's moving into my living room so I'd like something a little more aesthetically pleasing (losing as little convenience as possible). In your opinion, what's the nicest, easy clean substrate out there? What's your favorite?

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

All of my larger enclosures I use pro heat panels. Before that I had flexwatt belly heat. The panels are more expensive, but I have actually seen a change in the animals since using (positive). They were both at the same temp. The only substrate other than paper that I use is orchid bark. It holds humidity well, looks nice, and is larger so it really can't get ingested. Hope this helps and can't wait to see some pics.

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

PS As far as lighting just go with a cheap fluorescent so you can see. Heating with light bulbs is very inefficient. Also as you stated dangerous to the animal.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

As to substrate - Indoor/outdoor carpet looks nice, but I'm not 100% sure it's up to burm-sized messes. I have smaller snakes. It is safe to feed on though, since it would be pretty hard to ingest.

In addition to the heat panels (heard AMAZING things about them) You might also consider a Kane Heat Mat - all the way at the bottom of this page ----> (Heat Pads, Heat Panels, Heat Cable & Rocks) They also last a long time, and can safely be placed directly in the cage if needed, or underneath it.

5. lexi3

lexi3 New Member

Thanks guys! I'll definitely be looking into all your suggestions. Can't wait to finish her new home. I'll be sure to post pics when it's all done! :)