This Disappears When Logged In

Hibernation Questions

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by LaBaze01, Sep 23, 2014.

1. LaBaze01

LaBaze01 New Member

Okay, so I acquired a wild box turtle a few months ago when he showed up on my front porch and I accidently spayed him down with the hose when I didn't see him (he is tiny). We ended up keeping him in an outdoor area and he has been happily getting fat on all the food he gets. My problem is that winter is coming and I have a tank with a heat lamp and everything and would have no problem keeping him over winter but since he is a wild turtle I don't want to hurt him by keeping him in and not allowing him to hibernate. At the same time I have read that baby turtles have a very depressing success rate for surviving hibernation in the wild. So I guess my question is should I keep him in and allow him to hibernate, keep him in and don't allow him to hibernate, or should I just release him and let him do whatever nature has programmed him to do?

Attached Files:

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Listen to him, if he is digging or trying to burrow, going off of food and acting sleepy or has less energy, go ahead and allow him to brumate. If he isn't showing any signs of slowing down, get him set up indoors for the winter.
    What type of caging and lighting do you have to accommodate him?