This Disappears When Logged In

Hibernation Cage Question

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Bill Yager, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Yager

Bill Yager Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a 14 month old Grey Banded King about 33" that has just had its last meal before I was going to setup her cage for hibernation over the winter months.

I am looking for any suggestions regarding caging size, heating, bedding.

I have a 12" heating pad for under tank heating and was thinking about using a rubbermaid box with the UTH at one end and placing this cage in ou sun poarch that cools down to about 45-60 deg F. in winter.

Thanks for your comments.

Bill

2. LdyDrgn

LdyDrgn Member

You don't want the temps to fluctuate much during brumation. Optimum temps are usually 54-57 degrees...this is what the temperature is underground when the snakes burrow for brumation in the wild. Too cold or too warm could prove to be dangerous. There isn't any thermoregulation going on at this point, just one fairly steady temp that they adjust their bodies to by slowing them down.

Blanket box size tub, shredded newspaper or aspen substrate, and always provide fresh water for they will continue to move around around and drink during this time. Make sure her gut is completely empty since any food left in her would rot in the cold temps.

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I've never brumated my corn snakes, so I'm not really any help, but I was wondering if you have a reason for wanting to brumate....I don't brumate my corns because it would scare me (I'd be horribly afraid something would go wrong), and I don't think there's really a need to do so unless you want to stimulate breeding. Even then I've heard breeding is possible without brumation (correct me someone if I'm wrong because I have no experience with breeding snakes).

I think there are some people here who brumate their snakes though without any problems, so maybe one of them will be able to offer more advice :)

4. LdyDrgn

LdyDrgn Member

It depends on the snakes. Snakes from the FL and other southern areas don't need to be brumated since the weather is closer to tropical than temperate. Snakes from the temperate north should be brumated to promote a healthy well being. They are genetically predisposed to brumate every year and even though you can get away with skipping a year here and there it is better for the snake to allow it to brumate.

As far as brumation for breeding... tropical animals do not need it, but in order to produce viable sperm/follicles the temperate snakes need to be brumated at the proper temps as I stated above.

5. Bill Yager

Bill Yager Active Member

Thanks for the replys,

I was hoping to breed her next spring and was the reason for brumation.

We have a sun poarch that I just checked the temps on today ranging from 45-58 f, Today is the first day that the outside temps have dropped below freezing here in Toronto.

I was planning a rubbermain box of about the size indicated in one of the messages and place an UTH with termostat set for about 55F and using Apsen
    substrate.

Anyone have a recommended thermastat?

Thanks,

Bill

6. sulcataboy

sulcataboy Member

I just got a cali kingsnake, and i have an african spurred tortoise. Do i need to worry about hibernation?

7. LdyDrgn

LdyDrgn Member

Don't believe so. Just have to provide the proper diet and proper lighting (UVB). They get pretty big, too... where are you going to keep it when it's grown?

8. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I am looking at the age of your snake...14 months is kinda young to think about breeding isnt it? How big is your snake??? I do not brumate any of my snakes at all...but good luck with yours...Lyn

9. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

Have you tried a bucket with almost all dead leaves over and a water dropper and drop some every now and then. A lot of people do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.