This Disappears When Logged In

hi

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by slimmer, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimmer

slimmer Member

hi i keep 2 yellow bellied slider's chunky and squirt, chunky is about 6 inch long and squirt is about 4 inch long they are just under a year old get along lovely no fight's yet touch wood!! they love to eat mealworm's and guppie's best they also love carrot and apple grapes bannana skin and water melon skin, they live in a 5ft marine tank with a flurval5 pump uvb bulb and two 15w heater's so they are happy, the only problem i have is my waterdragon is jealous haha

2. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Sounds like a nice setup, do you have pics?

4. slimmer

slimmer Member

na not yet digi cam aint workin will have soon tho, then will post loads of pic's

5. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

AWWWW Now you need to set up a new Dragon house so that EVERYONE is happy ;)

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Welcome to herpcenter.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center!
    I am assuming that "marine" is a brand name on the aquarium? When I first read that I immediately thought "salt water"?

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Cool :D I love turtles. What type of UV light and heaters are they?

9. slimmer

slimmer Member

uvb tube lighting spot light for basking and 2 1500w water heater's nice and snug

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Sounds pretty good. Do you really need the water heaters? I know some people use them, but I've never had a problem with the water getting too cold. Hope you can get some pics up sometime! Did you know the well known red-eared slider is one of many subspecies of the yellow-bellied slider? Just thought I'd throw that in there :p

11. slimmer

slimmer Member

i know some people dont use heater's but i find they are more active eater's wen at a nice temp, co's they have there basking light and heater's it make the water up to around 80-90 nice an warm i only feed them in the evening wen the water is at the hottest, helps with digestion. there a quite athew subspcies. on the other note im gettin a map turtle soon once my mates egg's have hatched should be fun. i will send pics soopn im goin to pinch me mums camara wen she comes round next

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Whoa there! Your water is WAY too hot. That's what the basking lighht is for. Part of the point of the water is for them to cool down. In nature when they want to heat up or get some UVB they'll bask. When they want to cool down or hunt, they'll enter the water. I'd drop the temp down to about 70 degrees. They'll get stressed and overheat if you keep them in that long term cause your not letting them thermoregulate. Your giving them two choices, hot and dry or hot and wet, and those are the wrong two choices. When they need to digest they'll come out and bask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.