This Disappears When Logged In

Hi There

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SidCat, Apr 10, 2011.

1. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

In that case, I think my under tank heating pad must be a dud. I also have a 100 W overhead and between the two of them its not as warm as I would like it to be. My tank is 18X18X18.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures in the tank and what type of device are you using to measure it?

3. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

I'm getting a reading of 80 and I'm using a stick on temperature reader on the warm side and the dial one on the cool side which is reading almost as warm. My stick on reader isn't right under the light though. Would this make much difference? I'm sure these sound like foolish questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Where about do you live in Nova Scotia?

6. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

Merlin, I'll have a look at the digital ones - thank you :)

I spoke to someone today at the store and she indicated that I had too much substrate which would limit the under tank pad's effectiveness.

mld - I'm near Halifax, just outside the airport.

7. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

I just looked at the link. Does it need to be a terrarium specific one? I am pretty certain we have one here somewhere.

8. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

I got rid of about half the soil I had in there and used our Christmas gift thermometer set and am getting a reading of 87.2 (bathing suit weather according to its picture) right on top of his house as seen in the picture. Is this a good spot to be measuring? I will take the transmitter out of course as it can't stay there. Would a daily check be alright? Highest temp was 89.4.

Attached Files:

9. mld

Just wondering if the digital thermometer has a probe! The probe can be placed in the hot hide (basking spot).
    I know its hard finding thermometers like that in the Maritimes, I've ordered a lot of things on line, I know that Halifax is much better for finding things than in Moncton. Our walmarts don't carry a lot of the same things as larger Canadian Cities and the US.
    This is the one that I have. You can find it at Pet Unlimited, Petcetera, Jungle pets
    Thermometer - Petcetera

10. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

The thing in the picture is the probe and there is a separate screen that I can watch the readings on - its wireless. I will look into something permanent, I think two probes can be set up to this thing. I am just so happy that his temperature is right. I had been really worried.

11. mld

To check the basking spot you will need to place the probe inside the hot hide, where he would do his basking, not on the out side.
    I know it might be hard with the probe being that size with him in the hide but they need belly heat, so you will need to know that temp, it will be different than the temp outside the hot hide!

12. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

I will get that reading soon! Thank you for your help :)

13. mld

No problem, have a good night!:)

14. SidCat

SidCat Well-Known Member

85.8 inside. Good night!