This Disappears When Logged In

Hi My Names Chris And I'm New To This Forum I'm Going A Expo And Want A Begginer Snake Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Christian s, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Christian s

Christian s Member

I want a begginer snake but not a ball python have a small dog in my house. I was thinking a rough green snake but if not what are some other good ideas?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Corn snakes are a great beginner, and they come in a wide variety of colors and morphs. Most are pretty even tempered, easy to handle, ready eaters, and quite active.

3. Christian s

Christian s Member

Wow okay a corn snake sounds cool but I have an infrared light newspaper and a hide and water bowl will this work for a while till I get a heat mat and how much do they sell for

4. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Being as a lot of people are going to come here and say either ball pythons or corns (as cool as they are don't get me wrong) I'm going to recommend to you a hognose snake. This was the first snake I ever had and I didn't have too many problems with it. They're pretty cool looking too, unique.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

At an expo, a corn snake might be as low as $20-$30.

You might also look into king snakes, rat snakes, or milk snakes, all of which are easy to care for colubrids.

As mentioned, Hognose snakes can be a good bet, too, just be sure to check with the breeder that it is eating mice (some types prefer amphibians, and can be tricky to feed in captivity).

Hogs have the added benefit of being one of the few snakes you can almost guarantee won't bite. They lunge, and tend to 'peck' you with their little beak.

I'd get your setup finished first, and then pick out your snake :)

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Rough greens are almost always wild caught and they're a hit or miss as captives.
    Corn snakes and garter snakes are my recommendation. Garters are exceptionally easy and were my first snakes

7. Christian s

Christian s Member

I was looking at garters but then looked at hognoses but I think I'm allergic to bee stings and have heard hognoses have venom like a bee sting is this true? And if I can get a hognose how much will one be at an expo

8. Christian s

Christian s Member

Or maybe a California kingsnake which stays around 3 feet and which is a better choice kingsnake or hognose

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hognose venom is not the same thing as a bee sting. What you are thinking of is the statement that some people may have an allergic reaction to it just like some people are allergic to bee stings. But since they are a rear fanged snake, you just about have to try to get bitten!
    And Cal Kings can get larger then 3 ft. but 4-5 is topped out.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  10. Christian s

Christian s Member

Ok cool how much do hogsnakes cost?

11. Christian s

Christian s Member

I was looking at prices and decided to get a kingsnake or a corn snake I have a 10 gallon to start with and then I have a 40 gallon when the snake needs to move up a tank

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I saw run of the mill hogs at the last expo for about $80.

Of course, if you want albino, or special morphs, they cost more.

13. Karma Momma

Karma Momma Active Member

Another species you may want to consider would be an African House snake. They get 2-3', have an excellent food response, and are very easy to keep.