This Disappears When Logged In

Hi, I'm Suzy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SuzyPike, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SuzyPike

SuzyPike Well-Known Member

I'm open to anything. I'll look them up. :)

Any other suggestions?

...The only thing I noticed about anoles was the misting requirement. Could they be left alone at school for up to 5 days? Otherwise, every long weekend they will be coming home with me.
    I don't mind bringing them home during Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer, but Thanksgiving, Veterans' Day etc. are 3-5 day weekends. Right now the humidity in there is high because of the running water and plants, but without that I don't know.
    Anoles are very cute and I am interested in them!

Suzy

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Welcome to the site! I am sure you will come up with something workable for your requirements. I could give you some great ideas for snakes but sadly, since you can't get one, I can't be of much help to you.

3. SuzyPike

Hi! and I know David! I LOVE my corn snake and it is so easy to care for and actually appears to like to be handled!
    I could ask my principal again.... ;)

Suzy

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Its not so much the misting, but the feeding! Eco earth can keep the humidity up if used as a substrate, but the feeding becomes a problem over long weekends.

5. SuzyPike

Okay can I bring him home with me then? Or could I leave crickets in there?

Suzy

6. schlegelbagel

you could leave a few, but not too many for they can actually take bites out of the animal. usually if you leave a scrap of carrot in the tank, the crickets will eat that instead of the anole.

have a care sheet for them.
    Green Anole Care Sheet and Information - WNYHS

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Welcome to HC! Glad you joined us. :)

8. MichelleFaeth

MichelleFaeth New Member

Suzy,
    I had one of those tanks in my classroom last school year. I had mosquitofish, two tiny turtles and a little frog. The frog died pretty quickly, then one turtle died. The other turtle and fish thrived.
    The tank sounds like a River Tank. They are available from Carolina Bio Supply (Carolina Biological Supply: Science Supplies, AP Kits, Chemistry Supplies, Microscopes). My students enjoyed having it in the classroom, but there were several drawbacks. One, it tended to fog up so you really can't see what's inside above the waterline. Two, the constant water splashing noise was a distraction for several students. Three, it is incredibly heavy so moving it during vacations was a real pain. Four, you cannot take out the waterfall part and if the plastic hose does become disconnected it cannot be reattached. Five, cleaning the system is not easy. Good luck with yours!
    Michelle

9. schlegelbagel

Here is the perfect example of why we say to never mix species! It just about never works out. I can't' imagine that many types of animals in that one tank.

10. Gibson90kb

Gibson90kb Elite Member

Anoles are alwase out and easy to maintain. Frogs would be my other suggestion, though I have never owned any.

11. SuzyPike

Yes, I believe you are right- it is a River Tank, and I know it came from Carolina Bio Supply.
    I am worried about bringing it home. I am in a rural area and live almost an hour from where I work. I am planning to take out the waterfall though. I'm going to drain the tank and cover the holes with duct tape.
    Do you think that will work? If not please tell me why!
    And... the reason that I am taking out the waterfall (and the water!) is the very reason that you mention. It is almost impossible to clean it.
    ... and I'm partial to jungle tanks anyway...

Thanks for the post. I couldn't remember what the tank was called!

Suzy

12. MichelleFaeth

MichelleFaeth New Member

Suzy,
    Good Luck getting the waterfall out. Mine was so securely caulked to the back of the tank that it was impossible to remove. I ended up pulling the plastic hose out the front and using a wine cork to plug the hole. Otherwise little fishies can get to the backside.
    Michelle