This Disappears When Logged In

Hi, I'm Suzy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SuzyPike, Aug 5, 2009.

1. SuzyPike

SuzyPike Well-Known Member

I am new and so introducing myself. I'm an elementary teacher and have just inheirited one of those really big tanks with a waterfall in the back-- a exo terra or something??... I also have a corn snake at home.

I haven't decided what to put in my tank yet, but I need something very hardy, that can stand being moved to a smaller/different tank in the summers.

I am going to enjoy getting to meet everyone and learn about your herps. :)

Suzy

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Can you give us the dimensions of the tank? That would help us! And is the waterfall removable and would you be ok removing it, if it meant getting the right animal?

3. SuzyPike

It's 24" X 24" X 12" (height, length, depth)

I would consider getting rid of the waterfall.

The teacher is still at this school though so I would ask her if she would be offended if I remove the waterfall. She had water frogs in there, but I'd really prefer a jungle type animal ...and chirping would be a plus if that works out.

Should I move this to the amphibians forum? It it in the wrong place?

4. schlegelbagel

I deleted your other thread, since its pretty much a dupe and its better to keep all answers in one place.

You pretty much have a 30 gallon tank in the exo-terra. Is there a reason you wouldn't be able to bring that tank home over vacations and stuff? We could help you set it up so it wasn't that heavy.

Are you looking for an amphibian? The problem with most amphibians, is they are almost all nocturnal, for the ones that need to be in that sized tank so your kids wouldn't get much out of it and there would be no chirping while you were there.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Hi Suzy, welcome to HC.

6. SuzyPike

Hi Ken!

And thanks Liz- I didn't know where to put the question.

When I had the Crested Gecko, we played "Find Bounce" every day and my students loved it. I don't know if Cresties are nocturnal or not but all he ever did was hide. Also, now I am a Reading Teacher and although I have students drop in daily, the animal is mostly for me. But I see what you mean, chirping at night wouldn't do me much good, would it?!? :eek:

I might be able to take the tank home in the summer. I really hadn't thought of that. I don't know where I would put it... but I guess I could find a place.

Suzy

7. schlegelbagel

Its just stressful on most animals, to keep moving them around, so at least if all you did was move the tank, that would be less stress.

And yes, Crested Geckos are nocturnal. Hopefully someone can get you an idea that ISN'T a nocturnal animal.

8. SuzyPike

One thing I need to add. This tank is divided. In the middle are three levels. The little stream of water kinda just runs down these. It's not really a waterfall- it's a slow moving stream.
    It's a formed, all-one-piece setup that can't be changed. I looked and looked for a picture of it online to show but I can't find one. But, what I'm trying to say is a toad or something that can't climb could not get from one side to another.
    I might try to get a picture on here tomorrow if someone can tell me how..

9. schlegelbagel

usually if there is an area like that, you would put some sort of substrate on either side that is just a little less deep than the edges. Can you take a photo of it? I'm just worried about keeping it clean, It sounds like a pain in the butt to remove and clean.

10. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I don't know about the frog stuff but welcome :)

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Wanted to say welcome too.

Pics would help us picture the tank a little better and help you figure out some ideas.

12. SuzyPike

Hi Orca!

The divider goes almost to the top. I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. Surely we can figure something out.

13. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Welcome to the site and I hope you get everything figured out.

14. Ninjaguy1987

Ninjaguy1987 Elite Member

Welcome Suzy.

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

A warm welcome to HC.;)

16. SuzyPike

http://www.herpcenter.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=4878&c=9
    0806090758_1.jpg

I really hope this works! It's the side because it really shows more than the front view. There is no space through the divider and the molded stuff can't be taken out.

The good news is, I'm open to anything except for I was told I couldn't get a snake. But, that being said, I would rather get something that can climb than something that is aquatic.

Suzy

Attached Files:

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Well that is a nice looking tank indeed! Hopefully you will know who's heaven it will be soon.;)

18. schlegelbagel

This still doesn't show the divider, and I can't picture it. I see its set up for an aquatic animal, and I know you said you don't want an aquatic animal, but that seems like it could be a great setup for 3 firebellied toads, and they ARE awake during the day. And when you drain the water out, its not to heavy to transport.

19. SuzyPike

I'm sorry Liz, I didn't explain it. That photo is of only half of the tank. There is another half on the other side of those pre-formed rock things. I'll try to take a front view,

Reptile Forums - Herp Center
    front_tank_528751.jpg

The divider is 10" tall to the lowest point that could be crossed. Again so you won't have to look up, the tank is 24" tall.

Thanks!

Suzy

Attached Files:

20. schlegelbagel

I got you now, the area that is cupped which is holding some rocks. It would actually make a good climbing thing for a small lizard. Have you thought about an anole? You would have to just leave the pump off and make it a land setup.