This Disappears When Logged In

Hi From Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bernie, Jul 10, 2015.

1. bernie

bernie Member

I just joined this forum yesterday as a fairly new snake owner. My son basically left his ball python with me to care for when he moved out of his apartment last November (a type of rescue, I guess). She turned out to be such a great pet that after doing a lot of reading and investigation (and talking my wife into it and finding the proper size enclosure), I found a young Hog Island boa at a local pet store (another sort of rescue). I think that the boa is a she but have not had her properly sexed yet (I just watched a video of how to do it yourself, a somewhat non-intrusive method and maybe not as accurate which I am going to try this evening). Both snakes are great but the Hog Island is a beauty. Here are a couple of pics of her.

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC! If you are considering the idea of "popping" your snake, don't. You would be better off either having a vet sex it for you or someone at a reptile meeting or zoo showing you how to do it properly. I'm not saying you won't be able to do it. I am saying that if you made a mistake while doing it, you could injure the snake.

3. bernie

bernie Member

No, I'm not going to pop the boa but I saw a Youtube video, linked from this site, that showed the owner rubbing along the underside from the cloaca down along the tail feeling for the hemipenes. I know that it may not be 100% accurate and really it doesn't matter too much which gender the snake is, more of a "like to know" thing.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to Herp Center.
    I'm heading out to Nova Scotia in a few weeks. Never been there before but heard it's very nice. Well except for winter.

5. bernie

bernie Member

Yeah winters can be crappy but generally in Halifax the snow is wet and mushy (and not too much of it). However this past winter was insane here - it was like tunnels through mountains of snow. Lots of nice places to visit in the province and most people are friendly and easy to get along with. Spring was a bit slow in coming, as was summer but now we are starting to see some nice temps (high 20's). Lots of nice beaches around the Halifax area to visit and, if you have time, take in the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, it's beautiful.

kriminaal likes this.
  6. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HC!

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Welcome to the forum. Being in Michigan is bad enough, I'd have a nervous breakdown dealing with that much snow.

8. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Howdy and welcome to the site :)

9. bernie

bernie Member

Thanks. I have joined a number of snake forums as I am new to the hobby and all have been great and so informative so far. Also love my snakes and cannot figure out why it took me so long to get into the hobby (besides talking my family into it). One thing that I have found is how ill-informed a lot of people are of snakes but I am doing my best to bring more folks in my area into the knowledgeable realm of the great little (so far) pets.