This Disappears When Logged In

Hi Everyone :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by maligirl, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Uros grow quite slowly compared to many other reptiles. Usually don't near breeding size until around the two year mark. I have kept males together before but it does depend on the personalities of them. The two I kept together one was over 5 yrs old and the other was barely a year.

2. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

Oh good to hear I hope I get lucky and I can keep them together they look nice in the tank together .. I like it that way

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center....You are receiving some great advice....Good luck with your Uros!

4. Annababe

Annababe Elite Member

Welcome!

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

That would be nice, unfortunately what we like and what the reptiles like is rarely the same.

Reptiles in general are not social creatures. Usually they are competing for food and competing not to *be* food. That makes socialization difficult. They will often tolerate us because we are bigger and stronger than them and we control their world. We also provide them with meals every day. But they don't develop affection for us - not in the way that a dog or cat does - and there is no love lost for others of their kind. They see each other as competition. Therefore, they really don't get along.

Which is a real shame, because part of why many of us like reptiles is that we do get to build a world for them and watch them interact with it. That world would be a ton more interesting keeping several of a bunch of species together. For the animals, though, keeping them together makes them prone to nervousness - which affects their attitude and behavior. This also affects their health, resulting in them eating less or generally becoming sicklier.

Just be careful with them together. If one grows regularly, while the other stays small, or if one stops eating, or even if one is nervous and jumpy and prone to bite or run and hide from - those are signs that one has assumed a dominant role and is intimidating the other. If you see any of this happening, they must be separated immediately.

It sounds like you'll do just fine. :) I know it's a lot of information to get right away, but it worth it. The animals will definitely thank you.

6. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

Wow, all of you thank you so much.... Awesome help and advice I am getting here I have learned alot of new things about my mali's. I want to carry them all the time is that a bad thing.

7. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center!

8. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

A new reptile slave comes into the group! Carrying them about is not harmful if they are not stressing over it (several of mine like to be with me while I'm doing various things around the house). You do have to make sure they are warm enough, and that you have them in their tank enough to get the UVB that they need, and reptile proof areas you have them in so they aren't disappearing on you, or picking up and eating something they shouldn't. Good Luck!

9. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

10. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:D:D:D That makes me so HAPPY because I love to carry them they are adorable I love their Faces ................ Thanks to all the wonderful people that keep logging in and and welcoming me to this GREAT site. I'm happy to be here :D

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

welcome. As everyone said, watch really carefully on their behavior and be ready to separate them just in case. And get onto building them a new enclosure right now. That 10 gallon isn't going to last you more than a month or two.

12. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

Yes, I am currently as we speak looking to get them a 40 gallon tank :) hpefully I'll have it by this weekend. As far as them being agressive...I will keep an eye out for that so far so good, they sleep next to eachother so lets see how it goes. I got them 1/12/2008 Saturday, no weird behavior yet.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just so you know, sleeping next to each other doesn't necessarily mean they are getting along.
    It just means that's the temperature area that they both want.

14. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:p I know :( I' ll keep an eye on both...

15. arboreal3

arboreal3 Member

I don't know much on raising malis but I do want to welcome you to HerpCenter.

16. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

Welcome, i do'nt know alot about mali's, but if you want to keep two together, i would honestly suggest an even larger tank, it's tough but if you have enough space to reduce competition they very well may fight less. two basking spots, two hides on each side, that kind of thing. Don't know if it'll work with mali's though, never had any.

17. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

I will i am trying to get them into a gallon ;)

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think you will need larger than a gallon! ;)

19. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:D........... blonde moment i mean a 40 gallon laughing as i type cAn you imaGINE :p

20. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

why not just get them an even larger one? That will last them longer until you can build (or find) one that will last them their adult life? Also, if you get a bigger one, say 75, and they start acting mean towards each other, you can put a divider in it, and voila, 2 enclosures in one.

Remember, what it says you need for one, you need to double, because you have two. And if its doubled, then if they get angry, its easy to separate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.