This Disappears When Logged In

Hi Everyone :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by maligirl, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

I just got 2 Malis they are way cool I want to know how long are they suppose to sleep for and how long should I leave their food out??:p:p

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

welcome to HC! glad you joined. i don't keep uros but there are some people here who do and can help you more. also you can do some searching in the uro section of the reptile forums and see if anything there can help. :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome to HerpCenter!
    There are several uro keepers here who may be able to help you with your question.

We do ask that you not use IM/textmessage abbreviations here. We have members from all over the world and the abbreviations don't translate into their language very well.

4. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

Thank You for the warm welcome !!!!!!!!!!!

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Welcome from me as well.

Uros are daytime creatures. They tend to be most active during the bright, warm parts of the day. Make sure you have a basking bulb and a UVB bulb for them, during the day, but turn off the lights at night so they can rest. Make sure you can still keep the heat at the right temperatures at night, though. To do this you can get a ceramic heat emitter, which does not put out light, or an under tank heater. Check the caresheet for the proper day and night temperatures.

As far as food goes, I put it out in the morning before I leave for work. When I get home, it's almost always gone. Whatever scraps are left tend to dry out pretty quickly under the lamps, so I just dump them out at night and refill the next morning.

Can you tell us a little about your set up?

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Post edited...Welcome to Herpcenter.

7. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

My set up.. I have them in a 10gallon tank I have the UVB bulb for them. They are tiny about 4 and 5 inches long both males I was told. I want to get them a bigger tank but I was told for now that would be fine since they are small.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Thats way to small for malis and males should not be kept together. The tank is to small to get the temps right for them and give them a hot and cool side.

9. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:confused: how big should the tank be??

10. venus

venus Founding Member

They need to be in at least a 40 gl breeder. 36"W x 16"H x 18"deep

What are your temps for cool and warm and what about basking temps.

11. Merlin

From our caresheet
    Mind you this is talking about a single lizard.

12. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:eek: oh my .....

13. venus

venus Founding Member

You can keep alone or in breeding pairs. Females can be kept together but never two males. Care should be taken when housing in pairs and if aggression is observed you should separate the animals.

14. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

I defitnetly will look out for that... I wonder if they are 2 males I dont know thats what they told me at (Petsmart) YIKES ........I didnt know any better and got them there ..... From reading the post thats a big mistake right??

15. Merlin

I'm not that up on Uros, but if they are babies I am not sure that they are sexable. Possibly by an experienced breeder.
    Certainly not by some kid at petsmart.

16. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

:eek: oh well when the get bigger maybe by the color i will be able to tell ..

17. venus

venus Founding Member

From the caresheet.......

Sexing - Uromastyx Caresheet

You can sometimes tell by coloration. Look at pictures on the web and try to find one that matches. Male malis are usually dark black with yellow spots. Females are more subdued and sand colored. However, there are "male mimic females" and "female mimic males" which happen every so often. Basically, you can't tell for sure until they try to breed.
    Males also tend to have larger femoral pores on the underside of the hind legs and hemipene buldges, sometimes having a broader head, but not always 100% true.
    Females, femoral pores are much smaller.

18. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

You think they would fight even if they grew up together ?? They both look dark black to me

19. Merlin

Yes. In fact the older they get the worse the fighting will become.

20. maligirl

maligirl Elite Member

ok........... do they take long to grow they are small right now...... if I see any weird behavior I will seperate .. for now they seem mellow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.