This Disappears When Logged In

Hey Snake...WAKE UP!!

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Apr 27, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Ok, in your experience, what's the best way to wake your snake up, to get them out and handle them? I've noticed that mine gets a little edgy, and things can get really tense between the time that I wake her and actually get her out. Once she's out, she's fine. But that first minute or two after she wakes up, she gets to staring at my hand pretty intensely.

Now I tell her, I say, "Liyah, no biting your daddy!" But she's taken a couple short strikes at me (no connection), so obviously she doesn't listen worth a crap!

I've tried gently moving some things around her, lightly touching her, and even just standing at the door saying, "Liyah...wake up." Either way, after she wakes, there's a period of time that it feels like things could go either way. Now I know I have an ATB and they are known for being.....unfriendly. That's why I'm trying to work with her while she's still a sweet little baby.

So...what do you do? What works in your world?

As always, thanks for the input an opinions.

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Remember snakes can't hear sounds in the air like you or I ;) as to getting her out if the perch is removable, problem solved. If not then waker her gently and give her something else to climb on to that you can then bring out. If you get that far it's easy then. Unlike say ball pythons that will head for the ground arboreal snakes try to get higher. Put your arm out be the highest branch and they'll move right up to you with out any issue :D Disclaimer; don't hold me resposible for any bitten fingers in this attempt LOL!

3. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Haha. I won't Joey. Her perches are removable, but she really seems to get all weaved up with her foliage as well. And yes, once I get her moving, she's ok, she'll get on my hand and slide right up and out. It's the moment after she wakes and I reach for her. She almost takes a "stand your ground" position. I've been waking her, giving her a few minutes, then attempting to get her out. Maybe it would be best to just reach in, wake her, and pretty much stand my ground. Start getting her out right away. Don't give her time to get all testy with me. Yeah??

Oh, and I think the talking is more for my own comfort. Haha!!

4. JoeyG

Just remember as with many arboreal snake they don't always do so well with lots of handling. Also Amazons are a little nippy and though some out grow it, it seems to be in their nature. :) Most babies are usually a bit more nippy then adults too. I think getting them to come out on their own is the best thing. Patience is the key with arboreal snakes, unlike ground snakes you can just pull out these guys will wrap around anything and can be injured being forced out. Another reason I use a hook to coax then a bit when trying to get them out.

5. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Thanks. I'm super gentle with her. And if she takes off for the back of the enclosure I usually just let her go. I don't want to completely stress her out. And yes, that little tail will wrap tightly around anything. I just try to hold her for about 15-20 minutes 1-2 times a week. I knew going into this that she wouldn't be like the other snakes I've had. But I would like her to at least be somewhat adjusted to me. NO ONE else will probably EVER touch her. I'm very protective. If I don't seem to be successful in trying a couple more strategies I'll get a small hook, to see if I can get her moving a little. She usually stick her head out of the plants, and the stare down begins. Haha. I have so many plants and vines and branches in there that it makes it tough, but I really want her to feel at home. She LOVES coiling up on a branch, tucked completely under a leaf, or a bunch of flowers, and being completely out of sight. If I didn't know her favorite spots, she'd be almost impossible to find.

Thanks for all your help and advise, Joey. Very much appreciated.

6. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

My JCP was like this until he was about 7 years old lol. Everytime I put my hand in his enclosure....I got bit. He's VERY alert, and he always knows whats going on. I will assume thats how your Amazon is haha.

What I ended up doing, was grabbing any paper that was around(printer paper, pamphlet, manual, etc.) I'd stick that in the enclosure and while holding it, put it up to his face, so his tongue can reach it. After he smelled the paper, he'd completely forget that he's irritated with me being in his enclosure. I then get rid of the paper, and he would let me take him out.

I devised this plan because I got tired of pulling my hand out covered in blood lol, so I was just trying to protect my hands. But in doing this I realized that it was actually calming him down.

7. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Hmmm, sounds innovative. I'll actually try that this evening. It's definitely worth a try.

Funny thing, my JCP was just the opposite. When I opened his enclosure, day or night, he wanted to come out. Haha. Huge enclosure too. And he was very alert. He would sometimes just hang on the branches with his head right at the door, and I'd know he wanted out. I'd open the door and stick my arm in, and out he'd come. It's funny how different reptiles can be. People always ask me why I would even want a reptile, that they have no personality. Obviously these people are ignorant on the matter and most times it would do no good to explain it to them. I just say, if you took a little time and educated yourself on the topic before you made comments on it, you'd see that you're wrong. After that, they usually don't want to talk to me anymore. Haha. Oops.

Thanks for the input and advise. I'll try this evening and let you know how it goes.

8. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I changed a couple words but this is basically what my husband would say about me.....You are not married I take it :D

9. JoeyG

I've used a similar method for when I'm changing water with my neonate. I use a little piece of cardboard to block him from getting to my hand. works but he doesn't really back off, just keeps me from getting tagged :)

Sleeping wives are like chondros, wake them up slowly and gently and do it from far away! ;)

10. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Khelmoria....haha. And I'm pretty much married. I've been with my girl for 10 years. I just like to be certain of things before I commit. Haha. And if she's sleeping, I would never wake her up. That's the only time I truly get to do what I want to do. Once she wakes up, she invents weird, unnecessary chores and stuff. HA!!!

11. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Joey, I think I'm going to give it a shot. I can tell already that this is a strong willed snake. And bold! She weighs 3/4 of an ounce and stares at me, 6 foot 165 lbs. like she could whoop my butt. Haha. If she could talk, I'm share she'd say, "I WISH you would stick your hand in here....cause I've got something for you!"

12. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

That sounds like my mother. Waking her up is a disaster.....

13. JoeyG

Spirited snakes only make life more interesting! :) Good luck!