This Disappears When Logged In

Hey everyone quick question!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by SnakesNCakes, Jan 4, 2015.

1. SnakesNCakes

SnakesNCakes Established Member

First of all let me say hello! Its been a very long time since ive posted on here and im sure no one remembers me haha. Anyway I thought before my question I would give you a quick update. When I first created this account, I owned a ball python, Nagini, and a leopard gecko, Amelia, both of which very sadly passed away. :( I had received Nagini from petco, and Amelia from Backwater Reptiles. Both were sick upon me getting them. For Nagini I tried to help, but she had been sick when i bought her as Petco has a bad rep of not taking very good care of their animals. As for Amelia, I got her from Backwater Reptiles, which has a VERY bad rep. Unfortunately, I made a rookie mistake and went with the purchase without doing my research of that provider. She died shortly after, and I received no emails from the founder of Backwater Reptiles. I loved them both and tried to help them. It was very sad but that was almost 2 years ago. ANYWAY, as of now, I have only a ball python Dale, who I purchased from Boas and Balls, (Im not sure if they are still running). He is doing GREAT, he is active and moving around and eating great. I've had him for about a year and a half and I love him, he is my pal:) So theres my update, and now for my question; a rather silly one. So I feed him two small rats each feeding day because thats the only thing they sell near me, now he ate one, but I have a kitty who got to the other one. It was in a baggie but there are two puncture holes near the head which im assuming is where my kitty bit into it. The small rat also started bleeding. I found it behind a chair after one night. Now I'm very skeptical of still using it and I was not going to unless you guys said nothing would be wrong with it. So is it safe for Dale or should I toss it? Sorry for the long post and I am sorry if it is a little confusing! Thanks guys, it feels good to be back.

kriminaal likes this.
  2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I'd toss it if I were you. Bacteria in cat teeth and claws often proves fatal to rodents or birds, even from a small nick. The feeders shouldn't be expensive and I would just be safe than sorry.

Also just out of curiosity were they live rats, or did the kitty get to them when they were thawing?

3. Fini

Fini Member

Toss it. Theyre cheap enough. Btw have you checked craigslist or similar for breeders? Check the "for sale"as well as the "community" - "pets" section... you may have luck finding a breeder that has the right size. Also look for snake breeders that might breed rats as well. They might sell u some.

4. Fini

Fini Member

Sorry u had a bad exp with backwater... i was planning on ordering a fat tail gecko from them. Might look elsewhere as I've heard mixed reviews.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If the rat was left out overnight toss it. It has started to decompose.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I agree with the others, just toss it. Might not hurt, but another rat is far cheaper than the potential vet bills. Odd about backwater, I've never dealt with them personally but it seems I hear way more bad than good. Of course the complainers are always the ones making the most noise anyway, and I have heard some people speak well of them. Just not many. Can't imagine they be around long if they keep screwing up their rep.

7. Annexa

Annexa Member

I got a normal female hatchling ball python from Backwaters, and she's healthy and very friendly. I've heard from somebody that they tend to re-sell, so maybe it's luck of the draw? Anyways, I would also suggest tossing the rat.

8. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I would definitely not suggest tossing the rat. I would wrap in in a sheet of newspaper and put it in the garbage.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Oh come on, if you toss it far enough you definitely wouldn't have to worry about it. Like, into the neighbors yard, for example. Jk of course, couldn't resist.

TamJam likes this.