This Disappears When Logged In

Hey, Another New One!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Skunk, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

I've just made a hide for my boy out of ZooMed Excavator Substrate, drying very nicely :)

Anything else you can suggest that would make it even nicer for him?

Also, I'm hopefully going to be getting a female (in exchange for Stanley who I took back after several months due to them both being boys :()

I'm looking to house them together, however, do you think a medium sized viv set up would be a good investment? Especially when breeding?
    (I've bred other animals before, including Budgerigars and Cockatiels, I know that herps and featheries are completely different, but I do understand the time and effort and sadness that goes along with breeding)

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Do you mean another tank to keep the female in, separate from the male, except when trying to breed?

3. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

I mean another viv for when she is egg laying or seems hassled by him.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

That`s a good idea, otherwise she will be constantly gravid! (Not good).

5. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

Ah good :) as when I get her, I'd like to keep them together for the majority of the time, but just have a small viv set up in case :)

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

To go back to your water question, I have a dog bowl sized water dish in with my dragons and they love to swim in it! Give them water and mist them too - they also love that. As long as the temperatures are warm enough and there is ventilation, you don't have to worry about a respiratory infection.

7. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome to the forum...sounds like you've been doing your research....(and thanks for sharing your Pics:))

8. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

Since last summer, when I decided I would get a beardie, I've done masses of research, just so much! Very interesting learning about different behaviours, diet variances, etc.

More to come I'm sure when my little boy is more relaxed, wouldn't eat today (tried crix and locusts), except some apple and a few wax worms.

9. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

True, I suppose ventilation is a big thing, sadly most pet shops have water and very minimal, even zero, ventilation :(

He gets misted veg everyday, and regular baths, so I'm sure he isn't going to suffer from dehydration, what is the symptoms of this however, dry skin (ha)?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Misting the skin and bathing have nothing to do with dehydration. That occurs when the animal is not taking in enough fluid orally. And some dragons just will not drink from standing water. I have on who does and one who doesn't.
    Beardies are desert animals and adapted to live without the presence of standing water. They can get what they need from the veggies that they eat.

11. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

Yeh, I see that, but how would i know that he is dehydrated, i.e. something else I should look out for. I only give him baths to clean him after running through poop >>

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A dehydrated animal will look "off". The skin may lay in folds.
    With a well hydrated animal if you pull a bit of the skin up in a fold and release it, the skin will go back into position. If its dehydrated the fold will just sort of stay there.

LOL! They do do THAT!

13. Skunk

Skunk Active Member

Ah, I see what you mean, good looking and properly acting skin, just like a human? like plumping the skin up :)
    Thanks!