This Disappears When Logged In

He's Living in My Bathroom....

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by Bluegill, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bluegill

Bluegill Well-Known Member

So, the cage I had built for Jack, my 6ft columbian boa (large for a male, I know!) was destroyed when it fell off the back of a buddy's truck. It's a long story, lol. So, the point is, Jack is now homeless. At least he wasn't inside the cage when it fell...

Last time I kept him in my 50 gal quarantine tub (I was in the process of building the new cage), he absolutely hated it. So I don't want to do that to him again.

So, plan B: House him in the bathroom while I build the new cage!

Each room in my apartment has a thermostat, including the bathroom. I cranked it up to 80 and I have a nice basking spot set up for him over the sink. I even filled the bathtub half-way with water for him. Tile floor=easy cleanup!

He's really enjoying himself so far, I'll feel bad when he has to move to his new cage. Although it will be nice to shower alone again, lol.

Obviously, I do not recommend this as a long-term housing option...but it's working for me now that I'm in a pinch.

2. Bluegill

Uh oh, just realized I may have posted this in the wrong place. Sorry! Move it if you see fit...

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Haha, thats pretty funny/awesome. The only thing I'd be cautious about is whatever soaps you use while you shower, make sure he doesn't come into contact with them.

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That does sound pretty awesome for him lol. In my house I know it would never work tho, there's no way I could make completely sure that a full room is 100% escape proof for a snake. Hope you get the new cage ready soon!!

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like a good emergency set up. Just be sure he can't get down the toilet or down any drains!! Your neighbors would NOT be pleased.

6. DrCastro

DrCastro New Member

Hi work at the Detroit Zoo and saw this post and just had to reply: This is advice from a Veterinarian so take it how you will but having a snake get loose at the zoo or home is a pretty common occurrence! In fact just last year we had a Colombian rainbow boa live for 2 weeks in the men's restroom! It had curled up inside the trash can after it had consumed a rather large meal! I would suggest to you that it went to the bathroom because it is usually the most humid and warm area in the building! So while I should never suggest this to you on a professional level, if the circumstances are beyond your control then the bathroom would be the best place to pull it off! Again snakes are very curious by nature so let's remember to keep the toilet seat down just in case! He is 6ft so I don't see a drain being an issue unless you think it's wide enough for him to get down?? Let's keep the bottom of the door lined with a towel and really secure it so he can't push through if there is an opening at the bottom! I say hurry and get your cage built, while this can be a very temporary alternative it is still not very safe for you or the animal! If you have any questions or need any professional advice feel free to ask! Good luck to you and your reptile!

7. Bluegill

Thanks everyone! Don't worry, there is a heavy brick on the toilet lid, and the door is low enough to the ground that there's no way he could squeeze through. The drain is nowhere near big enough for him to get down.

The only thing that worries me is that he's been exploring to his heart's content, and I don't want him to hurt himself. For example, this morning I found him trying to climb the shower curtain. The shower curtain has since been taken down, he's a heavy snake, I don't want to risk him pulling the bar down on himself.

Soaps are being kept out of his reach, as are shampoos and razors. Hopefully I'll be able to have his cage done in a week at the latest, it will be done as early as Tuesday if everything goes to plan.

He's having so much fun in there...I'm gonna get the stink-eye for a week when I move him to a real cage lol. Two days ago he wrapped himself around the toilet, and I really had to use it, but he gripped it really hard and getting him to let go was quite an Odyssey, haha. Every time I would unwrap one part of him he'd quickly grab it again. It's like I have a toddler. He must think that toilet and everything in the in the bathroom is his...spoiled brat.

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Hhaaaha..did you show him WHY he should have just let go of the toilet? ;-)

9. BlackJack

I'm glad to hear that the toilet lid is weighed down with a heavy brick! Any decent sized snake could lift a toilet lid enough to get inside.

10. Bluegill

New cage was finished yesterday! Poor Jack was very sad to be moved out of the bathroom. I know snakes don't have advanced emotions, but it really seems like he's sulking next to his water dish, lol.

11. BlackJack

12. Bluegill

I would post pics, honestly...if I wasn't so ashamed at the cage I built haha.

My cage building funds (Yes, my herps have a set of sub-accounts set up for their needs...The people at the credit union assured me it wasn't weird at all! lol) were just about gone when I built this (I was rushing to get it done and couldn't wait until next payday), so I had to make it out of basically particle board, with lots of very absorbent bedding to keep the particle board from getting wet.

I'd have put him in a 50 gal sterilite container, but he hates those. And I could have gotten the funds from my emergency vet bill account, but that would leave me with less money to take the animals to the vet if they needed it. So I moved some funds from my fun stuff budget (movies and eating out) so I could make him a cage to last 3 weeks until I get paid again. I could have also made him a proper cage from my main savings, but I got this idea first....impulsive, I know.

Of course his old cage had to break right after I bought a new (well, new to me) car. Learn from my example, folks: The one time you put only 1/4 of your usual allocation for that month's reptile budget so you can buy a car without a loan, that will be the month your 6ft boa's cage breaks.

13. BlackJack

If you can get some pieces of lineoleum to glue to the bottom and lower sides of the enclosure, then seal the seams with aquarium silicone, it will help against water damage.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It doesn't matter what you use as bedding, if the particle board isn't sealed it will get wet!
    And once it gets wet,...its toast.

15. Bluegill

Done! Had to borrow the aquarium sealant from a neighbor, but hopefully this will buy me at least a few more days. I get to replenish the funds in my caging budget in 6 days...and honestly, I think I'm just going to spend the extra cash and buy him an enclosure from Boaphile or somewhere...I'm no good at building.

I know you guys must think I'm a total flake...but I really do have his best interests at heart!

16. BlackJack

Personally, I don't think you're a flake. In fact, I think it's pretty smart that you have a "budget" -- world governments could learn something from you. :)