This Disappears When Logged In

He's... Big?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by CrazedHoosier, Oct 1, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

So a few months ago, I got my first leopard gecko ever! The day was July 22nd. He was 3.7 inches long, 5 grams, when I brought him home! I estimated that he was maybe a month old. Since then, he has rapidly started growing. He is now almost 8.5 inches long, 35 grams. Is this normal for his age? I have been reading comments that say he should be around 6 inches for his age. He was actually the smallest of every leo in the pet store. Here is a pic I took of him 2 days ago: 20170930_201931.jpg

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Growth rate depends on a lot of factors. He looks good, filled out but not obese.
    His tail should start getting fat once he reaches his "full" length, although they never really stop growing, it just slows down dramatically.

3. CrazedHoosier

That's great! What factors go into growth? I feed him gut-loaded mealworms and crickets as a staple, and superworms as a treat twice a week. He ALWAYS has fresh water. Could those be the factors increasing his growth?

4. CrazedHoosier

On a side note, can anyone tell me what morph he is? I have no idea, honestly.

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Feeding has a lot to do with it. Right now he's growing and putting all his energy into that.
    Proper husbandry also has a large influence on their growth rate, and sometimes it comes down to nothing more than the animal's genetics.

6. CrazedHoosier

I’m very proud of him! Also, is there a certain weight they get to before they start slowing in growth, or is it different for every gecko?

7. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I think it varies, depends on genetics and such. As long as they are eating well and keep some fat on the tail as they're growing you should be fine. At a certain point they will slow down growth and start storing more on the tail, but I don't think there is a magic number for that. Typically between 45-65 grams, so it's a pretty large spread.