This Disappears When Logged In

Herping?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by uromastyx, Jul 8, 2012.

1. uromastyx

uromastyx Well-Known Member

I live in Montgomery, Alabama and I would really like to go herping but I don't know where to start. Do I just go out and start looking? Or is there a method to making sure herping adventures aren't fruitless. What equipment do you need? Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

When I go out I usually head to a nature preserve or any area that you think might sustain the type of animal your looking for....I take a day pack with a few essentials,such as snake hook,tongs,first aid kit,snacks,lighter and matches,notepad and pen, flare gun, solar blanket and a knife or two....when hiking alone you never know what is going to happen, I take no chances and go prepared for emergencies.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Translation- bring a .44

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

not me...I don't do guns...not much here in NY to worry about other than another human.

5. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

People are far more dangerous than wild animals, even mother bears. They are the reason I carry. I would rather cross a momma bear than a person with ill intentions. But in all seriousness, if you have never gone out on a long hike before, bring lots of water. Shut your cell phone off, but bring that with you too. If you do not know where to go search, start off by centralizing around water, it will attract all kinds of prey and predators. Do not go flipping rocks with your hands, I learned this the hard way.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

My most productive searches have been places where there is a large amount of debris scattered around. Sheets of tin, large boards etc.
    As stated bring you a strong hook or something to flip things with.
    NEVER put your fingers under something that you can't see under.
    And when you flip a rock or board, return it to the same position that it was before. You might have just flipped over the roof of somethings shelter.