This Disappears When Logged In

Herping Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by AjaMichelle, Oct 20, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi,

I thought I would share some pictures of my spring trip to do field work in Puerto Rico.

I posted the pics on my profile.

I'm new so let me know if you can't see them.

:)

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What an awesome experience to have.
    Great pics.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Looks like you have a great time herping in Puerto Rico, Loved all those photos!

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I finally saw some of your photos! (Is there a prize for that)?
    Great shots of some beatiful little animals, I like the Crested anole, are they semi aquatic, with the tail crest?
    And the blue eyes on the other species look terrific.
    Am I right in thinking Puerto Rico has some of the most pristine rainforest in the world?

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks so much :)

Ha ha there should be a prize! Yes the blue eyed anole is my favorite. They looked just like cristatellus when they're sub adults and the only way to tell them apart is by the eyes!

Puerto Rico is beautiful. It was the best week of my life!

6. justor

justor Elite Member

My sister went to Puerto Rico a few years back for a youth group missionary thing for her church. She came back with some great pictures, unfortunately she's not much of a herper so most of them were tucans and sloths, but still very cool!

That picture of the blue eyed anole has to be my favorite. Beautiful animal, and just an awesome shot also. I'm also pretty intrigued with the crested anole.

Great photos, and thanks for sharing!

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Only the best week of your life so far...... Still many more best weeks ahead!! You don`t say if the Crested anole is semi aquatic with the tail shape?

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Oh I'm sorry! :) I'm not sure if the tail crest serves a practical purpose with regard to swimming. It may! :) I think it's likely for displaying and attracting mates Only the largest adult males have them. This is just a suggestion though. Unfortunately little is know about visual signals of Anolis and even less is known about their ecology, except of course for the ecological niches they maintain.