This Disappears When Logged In

herping pics - issue 1

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by caudalis_sa, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Hey all! Well a bit of an update…been away from the PC alot and not on HC often…yes I am still alive to bug you guys with photos every now and then. It is spring now and summer is on its way. The herps are starting to come out (hooray!) and have been getting call outs and gone herping a ton already! Here are a few random pics of some cool herps from the past few weeks to start it off…have a feeling this season is going to be insane! Will post more when I have time again.

naja annulifera
    [​IMG]

naja melanoleuca
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bitis gabonica
    [​IMG]

dendroaspis polylepis
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Mehelya capensis
    [​IMG]

a cute varanus albigularis at sunset
    [​IMG]

oh and yes....i kinda no what i am doing....so obviously don't just go do the same unless you know how. Just covering my bases here haha. You dudes must come herp down here...just a plane ticket away!

2. The D

The D Mango Empress

oh man, that naja annulifera is gorgeous. i always look forward to pictures of your herping trips. you crazy drummer man you. :p

3. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Devon, I don't know if I'm brave enough to go herping with you, lol! You might know what you're doing, but I'm bound to step on a cobra! Amazing pictures! I'm glad I'm not your mother (I would be proud, but terrified)!

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome pics Dev and welcome back, we missed you :)...I agree the naja annulifera is beautiful.

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

thanks... never had time for both names so here they are now! well in order the common names are snouted cobra, forest cobra, gaboon viper, black mamba, cape file snake and white-throated/rock monitor

6. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

great pics! beautiful animals. thanks for sharing :)

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Devon! I've missed your pictures!

I love the blue shirt!

It doesn't look like you've invested in a 100mm macro yet....
    What lens are you shooting the Gabby with?

You're crazy...stay out of trouble!

8. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

fantastic pics! my daughter is so jealous. She loves vipers and such, but I've told her with her luck, no. She has been bitten by friendly snakes, as she must eat a diet high in protein and salt, and they smell it through her skin. She's not a little kid, almost 27. Have to make her use alcohol or vinegar based cleaner before she handles them. I think all of the pics were really wonderful. I am chicken, so wouldn't get so close! My Dad used to play with the rattler snakes every year when we'd go to Grandma's. He was raised in South Dakota. I remember always being afraid they would bite him. His brothers and sisters won't come into my house though because of the snakes we own. The picture of the cobra is absolutely wonderful! Captures a lot.

9. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah i need one real bad!!! i got given that 80-200mm canon by someone who was not using it(score!). Lenses are really expensive over here..as soon as i can get into the states again i am gonna try buy a canon 100mm...droooling thinking about it. Or an even better idea...why don't you just send me yours... you are so good you don't need one ;)

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Great pics as usual Dev,,,we miss ya.

11. Moshpitrockchick

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Always a pleasure to see your pics Dev. If you were around more you wouldn't have time to go on those fantastic voyages and take pics for us.:D
    I could be wrong but the pic of that dendroaspis polylepis looks like it was photoshopped. Are you actually going on these trips?:rolleyes:

13. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

you suck lacey.....grrrr. haha i am jealouse for sure.

haha and as for me photoshopping and not really herping...i don't live in cananda(just joking :p)Why would i photoshop pics other than for a blatent joke? Which one looks photoshopped? one of these two? [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Moshpitrockchick

I knew you were a phony...you are probably just playing with a garden hose and photo shopping deadly cobras in place of hoses!

I also totally borrowed a 580ex flash from a friend...it's insanely overpriced, but it's definitely been put on to my shopping list. You never realize how useful an external flash is until someone lends you one and then forces you to put more money towards your dumb addicting hobby.

15. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

darn...that would make things alot easier....plus my family would be more happy! haha the day when i trade snakes for hose pipes....hmm dunno maybe if i had to get married with kids. But the chances of that luck happening...i think are very slim lol.

I have never used n external flash... would dig one of those ones on a long cord for cool effect. But my first thing will be the 100mm for sure. I promise you don't need yours...i will pm my shipping address now...wanna trade a lense cloth or bottle of cleaning solution? or what about some feeder rat pups?

16. Moshpitrockchick

You haven't even used the 100mm, you don't know if you'll like it. I'll make you a deal, you send me a roundtrip plane ticket to Durban, I'll show up with the lens, you can play with and see if you like it.
    I'll bring all the other lenses too...we could do a professional crazy deadlocked guy / cobra photoshoot and sell the pictures to fund your new lens. (or maybe lenses depending how good you are at modeling)

17. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

haha have used the sigma 105mm.....i want!!! the canon should kick *** ...and me model for photos????!!!!! hahahahahaha rofl....look at the pics

18. Moshpitrockchick

well fine then I guess if you don't want to even TRY you'll just have to save and buy the lens the old fashioned way...

unless you know someone you can blackmail...or maybe you should just find a really nice girlfriend....

Phil bought me my 100mm for my 20th birthday, but then of course I felt obligated to buy him a 28-135mm IS USM for his...

19. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I know Canada is herpally challenged.:p It was the fifth pic in your first post. Just kinda looked like you were walking on air(which is probably how you felt anyway) and the shadow of the snake looks so close to the body. It's like you were standing against a wall.

20. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

yeah i see what you mean....just a weird shadow...was late evening so the flash musta done that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.