This Disappears When Logged In

Herping NC?

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Evozakira, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I'm new to the whole herp stuff and prolly would not know what the creepy crawl critters were untill I asked here later but I think it would still be fun. I live in Minnesota but am heading to North Carolina Thursday for 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone lives in the area and knows of any good places I could go and try to get some cool pictures of cool animals. Ill be in Wake County not to far from Raleigh.

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hey, I live in Fayetteville ( about an hour from Raleigh). I don't know any place to really catch anything spectacular...but, if you want some COOL photos-go to Wilmington while you are down here. The Cape Fear Serpentarium is an awesome place to see some beautiful snakes and even a couple of crocodile. I try to go there at least once a year and I take photos each time. The curator there is named Dean...last name escapes me at the moment, but he was just recently on the show "Fatal Attractions" (I KNOW, I KNOW, it is a stupid show), but he was on there and told how he had been bitten like seven.times (at different times) by a bush master snake. He is a bit of a nut case if you ask me because he hand feeds his bush masters, but you can not deny that he has some beautiful specimens. On Saturday they have venomous snakes brought out for feeding sessions. I would also LOVE to work there with each of those beauties. He has some huge Burms and retics too. Any way, That.is about it. Enjoy your stay and let me know when you get here, I might be able to meet you.

3. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Im here till the 23rd and dont have much to do. Im a couple miles from rolesville. I might have to make it down to that snake place it sounds like a great place for pictures. I havent been to wilmington since i was a child. Do they still have the USS North Carolina down that way? Thats all i remember from my visit back then lol

4. David McConley

Yep, it's still there. As a matter of fact, the Serpentarium is about two blocks from the river, and from there you can look to the right and across the river and see the battleship. I am not acquainted with Rolesville, so can't do much on that end. Definitely worth taking a look at the Serpentarium though. You can just Google: Cape Fear Serpentarium for directions and other information.

5. David McConley

The curator of the Serpentarium is named Dean Ripa.

6. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Ill look it over! Thanks

7. David McConley

No problem!! Always glad to help out when I can. :)

8. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I dont know how much more googling i can do on this lilltle phone >.< so hard trying to find a cbb tokay

9. David McConley

Lol, yeah these "Smart" phones are awesome, but they play out quickly and sometimes you don't get all the information you get from a regular computer.

10. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

I know and i forgot my ipad in MN :( so its just this phone for two weeks lol

11. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Hows the Zoo here?