This Disappears When Logged In

Herping in Peru?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

My family and I are taking a vacation to Peru, to visit my aunt and uncle there.
    I'm really excited about it all! The land of the tegus! We're going just outside a town that's in a clearing in the amazon jungle, meaning that we'll be staying in a house surrounded by jungle! And my dad promised to show me how to hunt caimans in canoes at night, which is awesome because I've always wanted to hold a crocodilian.
    Anyway, I've just wanted to vent my excitement through this post.
    I've grown up on stories about my uncles hunting an anaconda because it was disturbing the natives, and my dad coming apron a six foot boa on his way to school. No one who I have asked know about tegus though, so I'm assuming they are very secretive.
    But there is something I want to pass by someone who might know: my uncle told me a way to distinguish a venomous snake from a non venomous snake in Peru (as there are too many to properly memorize, so excited!) and I want to make sure. He said that venomous snakes will have short tails and their heads will be covered in small scales (as apposed to large plates like on corn snakes), and that non venomous snakes will have large scales on their heads and longer tails. He said that a venomous snake will always have small head scales and short tail, but a non venomous might have the appearance as a venomous (basically leave the snakes alone in they have small scales on their heads and short tails, just to be safe).
    Hopefully someone understood that, and know how reliable it is. Is it true? Or is it better to leave the snakes alone? Besides the obvious boa, that is.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you can't identify the exact species you encounter, you leave it alone.

Jflores and Merlin like this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree. If you don't know what it is,..consider it venomous!

BrownFoundling likes this.