This Disappears When Logged In

Herping Costa Rica (pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by AjaMichelle, Dec 28, 2011.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Well I love ecology and took a class on Tropical Biology with a mandatory trip to Costa Rica :)
    We were there for 10 days and all of my TAs were herpetologists so I just hung out with them the entire time. I don't think I slept honestly because they would herp at night and we were there to learn about Tropical Biology but mostly to do field work, which also turned out to be herping because we were sifting through tons of leaf litter to discover the type and density of the herps that make up leaf litter communities. I discovered my absolute love of amphibians and reptiles, found out I can turn that love into a career, and I never looked back. Now my whole day revolves around herps. My boyfriend makes fun of me because we talked about stuff other than herps before I went to Costa Rica... of course neither of us can remember what kind of stuff lol

Oh I would looove to go to South Korea!!! I have also been invited and am seriously considering going if some other friends do.

I hope to be doing many more trips! I would love to go to Oz and would definitely need a guide! I have heard there are some pretty brutal spiders there :)

And I forgot all about the bull ants! I bet they're a lot less enjoyable than the leaf cutter ants I saw in CR!

I went to Costa Rica looking forward to the bats specifically! One of our liaisons was actually studying under THE definitive bat expert in the country!!! We would be walking along and he'd stop talking and then present some bats out of nowhere! That's where the mother and baby bat in the pic came from. We were ziplining and he just found them! We thought it was just a single adult bat and then she reared up to reveal the tiniest baby! and she was flipping out, which is to be expected, so he immediately put them back. What a surprise! He was just full of all kinds of interesting bat knowledge too. Like unpublished bat details.

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Wow, that's awesome. I used to live in Japan and had two resident flying foxes outside my apartment. I used to feed them, lol. Of course everybody thought I was crazy. I would totally not mind studying bats.

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's amazing! :)
    This might make you even more jealous lol: one of my best friends works at a wildlife rehabilitation and outreach center so they rehab injured wildlife and release when possible, but then also have a program where they travel to various elementary and middle schools teaching kids about wildlife. She specializes in herps, bats, and birds-of-prey. They currently have like 80 fruit bats they're trying to re-home and she offered some to me... but I don't quite have the set up or time to invest in fruit bats as totally amazingly cool as that would be. :)

4. BarelyBreathing

I would gladly take them!!!! Yes, I'm jealous.

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I had a momma bat raising her kids under the window AC unit in my room for a few years. They were the cutest.

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Looks like you had a ball I know I would have of!

7. Guppyfry

Guppyfry Member

What an amazing thread, story, pictures! Each pic is just a joy to see. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

"Mandatory" trip huh?
    They would have really had to twist my arm to make me go on a trip like that!
    Yeah right!
    I would be the first one on board!

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Wow beautiful shots!! Looks like it was an amazing trip!

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's how I felt! :) there was a form distributed about the trip prior to instructor approval for registration that basically included this description designed to make it clear the trip wasn't a vacation. It emphasized venomous snakes, hiking, etc and I read it thinking "you are really not talking me out of this." lol
    There was a rule where we weren't allowed to touch any herps without approval from the herpetologists because some idiot thought a leather glove would allow him to safely handle an eyelash viper years before. Well you can imagine how that turned out.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just Mother Nature trying to clean up the gene pool!

12. BarelyBreathing

Brilliant. :)

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Seriously! :)

Also, that group saw dozens of venomous snakes and we saw two. :(

14. BarelyBreathing

Lame. Hots are some of my favorite reptiles. Hubby wants to keep them here.

15. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

The fact.they are dangerous makes it more exciting and intense. I've considered a few hots, one in particular is the native to my home copper head. I think they are gorgeous snakes. I could never do it though, should an accident happen and one of my dogs got tagged or worse my wife. Plus we are considering children in the near future. Not worth the risk.

Even if you only saw too you still saw a lot of other awesome critters!