This Disappears When Logged In

Herp Room Monitoring

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Dragoness, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One of the goodies I got for christmas this year was a little thing called a Quirky Spotter (Spotter) for my reptile room.

It monitors a number of things, and sends notifications to your smartphone when anything happens.

loud noises
    motion
    temperature outside of specified range
    humidity outside of specified range

We have it set up in the reptile room right now. Still trying to tweak out the minor issues.

-blows up your phone with motion sensor alerts when you go in for maintenance.

-because we have an oscillating heater on a thermostat in there, every time it turns on, we get about 4 motion sensor notices.

They also make a power strip that you can activate and control each outlet by phone. Thinking of adding one of those, and plugging all of my environmental control into it (heater, AC, fan, humidifier) because it would give me some peace of mind when I'm away.

Husband seems to think you can connect the two devices, and program the outlets to take input from the spotter to turn appropriate devices on and off automatically. That would be cool.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Wow...I think I need these gadgets for Tais cage...

Let me know how well it works.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It is a kind of sensitive looking electronic - I am not sure how well it would hold up to the environment within a reptile cage - hence I have it monitoring my entire room.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

hmmm...interesting.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

at the moment, another observation is a difference of about 8 degrees between what the Spotter thinks the temp is in my reptile room, and what my digital thermo hygrometer thinks the temps is in there. They are at the same height, and only about 4 feet apart.

The spotter is placed on top of the uninhabited chameleon cage, near the door. The digital is placed on top of the boas cage, also near the door. Pretty much on opposite sides of the doorway.

The digital states an average temp of around 74ºF, with a low of 72ºF

The spotter says average temp is 68ºF with a low of 63ºF

Quite a discrepancy. I might add a mercury thermometer to the room, and see what IT has to say.

The spotter does sit behind the ceramic heater, so maybe the fan pulling in cooler air throws it off? it runs a couple times an hour for a minute or so each time. The oscillation of the heater sets off the motion detector.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Easy enough to check-move the digital therm and place it right next to the spotter and then see if it is still different.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Why did I not think of that?

Yesterday, I got an alert, while at work, that the temp had peaked over 80ºF, which was worrisome, considering how low it usually reads. We were having a heat wave - it got up to 50º outside, and all my heaters were still running at their winter norms, combine that with having real sunshine for the first time in like a month, and it got kinda warm in there, but not excessively so.

My mom went over to investigate (and accidentally set off the alarm, which called the police) . . . Drama.

Turns out, the room itself was not 80º, but the spotter was also placed on top of a cage - which can get warm from the lights and stuff inside.

We really need to work out a location for this thing where it won't detect too much, but still make accurate calls.

~Not get set off by the oscillation of the heater, or the bearded dragon going about her business, but still detect people, should they enter.

~The noise detector apparently also detects trains - we do live not far from an active railroad - and the noise detector appears to be very sensitive.

~Get accurate room temps (not on top of a cage, where rising heat from inside the cage might result in inaccurate readings.)

8. Malkior

Malkior Active Member

OMG this is cool. Now give me one with a WIFI webcam feed and that can survive either rainforest humidity or desert heat biomes and I will be in love!!!

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

placed the Spotter next to my digital thermometer to try and see what was going on. The result is that the spotter, and the digital can't agree on a temp - and there is always a discrepancy of about 8 degrees (give or take). Spotter says the room is 63ºF, Digital says it's 72ºF.

The room is warmer than the rest of the house, but far. Noticeably. Unmistakeably. I let my house itself get rather cool, because I am a cheapskate, and I don't like monster heating bills. I am reasonably sure that my reptile room is *not* 63ºF

Let me go find a mercury...

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If you already have a temp gun just take a reading off a spot on the wall, rather than a cage. Should give an accurate room temp.
    Sounds like a neat piece of equipment, needs the webcam feed and some adjustability in the sensitivity though.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

After some digging, there is a bug with the Spotter, and the company is aware of it, and hoping to release an update that will correct the issue. Until then, the thermometer is off by 6-12ºF, inconsistently.