This Disappears When Logged In

Herp Leather Products?

Discussion in 'General' started by Microscope Jockey, Jan 5, 2005.

?

How do you feel about herp leather products?

1. Totally evil!

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Fine by me

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Ok if they're farmed

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. No opinion right now

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

What is your opinion on herp leather products and why?

2. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

i think it is very selfish that people would have an animal killed for clothing
    but they do raise cows, and other animals for food, but thats for food
    but i do live in america, so i respect peoples right to express themselves by what they wear, so im not going to say theyre evil, but i voted how i did because i STRONGLY disagree with taking animals out of their wild habitats and kill them to make purses and boots (that is what you mean right?) also they should be killed quickly and humanely, i hate to see animals suffer more that anything else

3. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Considering I'm a semi vegetarian (I eat fish) I am very against the killing of animals for food and other purposes, especially when it comes to such a stupid thing like looking good. Yeah some times leather makes you look good but there are things like pleather in life which is very similar to leather except it is not made of animal.

I reserve my vote just incase an option for very ignorant, cruel, and downright wrong.

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

"Totally Evil" is a bit too extreme... I agree with Moldy. People have proven they can make artificial leather and fur products that look just as good as the real thing, so I don't support animals raised for fashion.
    And I'm totally with Ryan... the animals shouldn't suffer: The conditions in which they're sometimes raised is so horrible that killing them is probably doing the animal a favor... respect for all life would make this world a better place.

PS --I personally don't buy the fake stuff either because it looks TOO much like the real thing! I don't want it becoming more fashionable... I'm a blue jeans person. :p

5. steveig2

steveig2 Elite Member

while i do not condone the killing of animals just for their skin or fur i see no problem if the animal was killed for a purpose such as food why let the skin or fur go to waste

6. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Well, that really depends.

Though some meat products do come from the snakes, in reality it's mainly for skin. I've witnessed tons of meat being thrown out at a round up a few of us attended a a year or two ago. So, no I wouldn't wear any snake by-products.

However, most crocodilian skins come from farms. Farms have done a great amount for the conservation of crocodilians, such as the American alligator. If no one sponsored any of their actions than you would have more illegal poaching only to raise problems. Farms are highly regulated and do release most of the populations back out into the wild and they do not only process their animals just for the skin. So with this, I would buy these products because in the long run it helps support the species. Plus, I kinda have the thing for the Croc Dundee hat..
    Zane

7. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

It looks like I'm voting the majority way right now. I agree with Zane.... if they're being killed for food, then why waste the pelt?

As for using herps as food..... I don't se a problem, again, as long as they're farmed.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Some people are gonna want reptile skins, so they might as well come from farmed reps rather than deplete the wild population. If they're farmed for food, then you might as well not waste the skin. If they're farmed primarily for the skin though, they better not waste the carcass.

9. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The thought just makes my skin crawl. When I was younger my mom knew I was very into herps,,,she bought me a snakeskin belt for christmas and I cried when I opened it (I think I was 6 or 7). Since then I've had a problem with any herp related clothing

10. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Add that to the fact that it is cheaper to produce synthetic clothing that resembles real animal skin and the need for the marketing of real animal products just isn't necessary.

11. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

This again would be placed to certain situations. Fake leather doesn't last half as long as the actual stuff. I'd rather get my money out of what I buy. Plus, farms that produce leather products produce many different by products of the animals; It would seem wasteful tossing out the skins..
    Zane

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You could also look at it this way. If the people in an area are allowed to harvest and sell an animal product (within reasonable limits), it is in their best interest to leave enough habitat available so that they can continue to harvest these animals. Its an incentive not to destroy the necessary habitat in the first place.

13. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Yet again Merlin has some of the best views on this. Once an animal is economically viable there is an interest in preservation. Look at organizations like Ducks Unlimited and Trout Unlimited or companies such as Cortland, Winchester, Remington. These sportsmen organizations and companies know that the sale of their product is based on the animals being there so they merge into a powerful lobby and action group and preserve more than any enviro-wacko group ever has.

That aside I am not sure I can even remember seeing someone wearing scaled leather, real or fake.

Mark

14. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

Its really big in celebrity fashion. Celebrities buy alligator leather, croc leather, and many others. Its getting to be a very big fashion for the upper class and middle class.

15. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I am undecided on the poll as of now. However, this is something to think about. Most of us wouldn't be here if some of our ancestors hadn't killed animals for food and/or clothing. In saying that, I hate to see those rattlesnake roundups like they have out west. I have killed deer, wild turkey and other game animals during hunting seasons and have not wasted anything. Of course game animals are a different deal all together than snake skin belts or alligator purses. Like I said, I am not totally decided on that one as of yet.

16. leeslynn

leeslynn Active Member

I voted 'totally evil'.

I love all animals, human included.. :rolleyes:

I would not wear an animal skin, but that is my personal choice. I'm glad I live in a country that allows me to choose what I will or will not wear.
    (my husband has a pair of ostrage boots) :eek:

I prefer cotton..I'm a T-shirt and blue jean kinda gal.. :cool:

17. wing

wing Active Member

u know its just wrong.snakes or any herp souldent be slaughered for any reson what so ever.

18. iturnrocks

iturnrocks Elite Member

I have no problem with leather from farm raised animals. I am against commercialization of all forms of wildlife.

19. Venomous

Venomous Member

im not into the whole animal hide gigs. i think rabbit fur coats are bad...lol

20. Ebone' Patton

Ebone' Patton Well-Known Member

When people kill wild animals for fashion statements it just makes me angry and that's all there is to it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.