This Disappears When Logged In

Hermit Help!

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Reptoid, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

Okay, so I have two hermit crabs and my younger sisters each have a hermit crab, and I take care of all of them. Now I noticed the biggest crab, has lost it's largest pincer. I'm not sure what's happened but It's large pincer is on the floor of the critter keeper (I'm cleaning out the 10 gallon at the moment). What should I do?

Also, what would you guys suggest for substrate? I've been using sand, but I was wondering if you guys suggested anything different.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I though crustaceans would re-grow pincers after a few molts?

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Don't know much about hermit crabs but I am with Dragoness, I believe it will re-grow the pincer after a few molts.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

5. Cid

Cid Elite Member

This thread is a bit old, but until recently I had a successful colony of about 20 hermit crabs.

When dealing with lost appendages try to make sure the crab is as relaxed and unstressed as possible. Buying an anti stress spray is a good idea too. Being that losing a claw can be due to injury or even just being over stressed, you need to check the conditions of the tank to make sure that you have the appropriate temps and humidity. 70% and 80-85 degrees will make for a very happy crab. Also having substrate deep and moist enough to allow them to burrow is an absolute must that cannot be avoided regardless of reason or circumstance.

If a crab does lose an appendage, be it a claw or walking leg, it can regrow it with multiple successive molts (talking 3-10) depending on the size, or if it's a big crab it may never regrow the appendage to its original size.

6. iluvgreektortoise

iluvgreektortoise Banned User

I'm a owner too and when it molts it will regrow it.

Use calci sand at PETCO.It's good for their calcium supply.
    HCR!

7. iluvgreektortoise

iluvgreektortoise Banned User

You are supposed to have three hermit crabs.They are pretty social.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please look at the post dates. You are responding to threads that are a year old!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.