This Disappears When Logged In

Hermit Crabs in Glass Shells

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by CentriRitanni, Jul 27, 2012.

1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

I WANT :) so cool! but i wonder what kind of stress this might give them..... not to mention if the shell shatters and stabs their delicate abdomen.

3. Mulder

Mulder Well-Known Member

I saw that when I was trying to decide if I wanted hermits or anoles for my first herp pet! Hermits are just so cool, though. They even recycle!
    tumblr_m2puk77zZA1r4yo9qo2_500.jpg

There's also a hermit crab at the London Lego Land Aquarium that has a shell made of Legos. He actually chose that one over similarly sized natural shells they offered.
    12.jpg

4. CentriRitanni

They were made by a glass blower, so I don't think sharp spots are an issue, and as to shattering... that would take some effort. As to stress, not sure.

5. berdiesandfrogs

berdiesandfrogs Active Member

lol shouldn't they have a little privacy?

6. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

That's cool. I couldn't imagine how much it would stress them out though.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

That is very cool! The saddest thing i have seen is a crab in a film canister.

8. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

Other than the shattering issue, I would think that long as they still have plenty of variety of normal shells to choose, that the glass would be fine since they could switch up if they felt too exposed or if there was any other benefits from shells that the glass doesn't provide.

9. CentriRitanni

Agreed. They did not only offer the glass, it had normal shells as well, however, since the glass ones were made to perfectly fit the crab, that may have influenced the decision. I imagine they did not remove the other shells (I don't know this for sure) as the point was to study the crabs.

10. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

That's really cool! I think it's pretty neat that you can look too see what the whole crab looks like. I never caught my old one moving out of its shell.

11. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Only reason I would get them is because you can get colored glass shells. It would be neat to be able to see the crab itself, but still give it a pretty blue/green/purple shell.