This Disappears When Logged In

Herman's Tortoise Enclosure HELP

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by BlueCardinalArtist, Feb 23, 2013.

1. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

Alright, so I think that I'm going to get a Herman's tortoise, and I'm trying to figure out the size requirements for an indoor enclosure. One website said that a 4 ft x 2 ft would work for an adult, but I'm not entirely sure. Can anybody help me?

2. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

As big as you can fit. And make sure to use Lots of uv lights like mvb bulbs, and lots of basking spots and micro-climates (ie: humid hide, warm side, cool side, dry side, wetter side).

And remember, LOTS of substrate. Torts need to burrow, and make sure you know what you are doing when hibernating it.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

For an adult I would say minimum of 4x8 but bigger is better.

4. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I agree, 4x8 will work is a minimal cage size, and bigger is always better. Just out of curiosity, where do you plan on getting the tortoise?

5. BlueCardinalArtist

BlueCardinalArtist Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about getting it from one of the reptile expo's if they have them. I went to one earlier but they didn't have any. There were a lot of sulcatas and red footed tortoises though.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sulcatas get huge and red lots need high humidity.

7. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

I don't recommend a sulcata, as been said they get really big, and need at least an acre of space when they're adults.