This Disappears When Logged In

Here She Is....

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Frognut, May 3, 2010.

1. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Gorgeous!! I'm fond of the name Athena too!

I think it's very possible she's 2 and a half--a one year old snake is still young and only a few feet long! We got maru as a yearling and I still consider her a baby even if she's a big girl now! So I can understand where she'd mistake the age(especially after not really owning baby snakes before) Athena could have been a few months old when purchased and now she's just around 2! :)

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree, it wouldn't be so much the physical weight of the snake that you had to worry about as it would the strength of the snake as it pushed and prodded at the top, using the branch as a base to push from...and it will!

3. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

And she is amazingly strong (to my inexperienced hands) - so if she uses that strenght to push up off that branch, I don't think it would stand a chance.

Liz, thanks - I really appreciate the offer, but I don't want to risk it. I've got a bunch of people scrounging around, hopefully I'll come up with something soon. Although, I have an almost empty basement and a large storage shed with some room left if you need storage space for the tank. That would not be a problem!

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

If my husband would ever clean the basement, i would have plenty of storage space!

5. Frognut

Good luck on THAT one, let me know how it works for you! Either Morgan and I do it - or I hire someone to do it! :rolleyes:

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wonderful looking snake and congrats!
    Now if I could just name my new CG as fast as you did ,LOL!

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

SOMEBODY CALL THE CENTER FOR DISEASE CONTROL!!!!!! Stephanie has the snake keeping virus!!!!! We TOLD you it was contagious. Seriously though, Athena is gorgeous- almost as pretty as my female ball python of the same name. It may be possible the scrape on top of her head could be where she rubbed her head on the top of the cage. if she was in a tank that was too small, she may have tried to get out repeatedly. The other spot does look like a rat bite. In both cases, like everyone has stated before- she is healing well and should be fine as long as she doesn't get any more live food. Great job convincing your husband getting her was HIS idea, lol!

8. Frognut

LOL!! I still think we should be calling the psychiatric ward for my husband!

Thanks again everyone for all the nice comments - I'm awestruck every time I see her... and that she is in my house.

Lucysfriend - I'll send my hubby over, he does the naming and most of the time it's right on (we did veto Name #1 for Cicero my BP)

Purplemuffin, I'm going with 2 years - so I've decided her birthday is 5/2/08 (she celebrates with hubby~evil grin~)

David, looking at the spot on top of her head, I think it is either from a bad shed or it is stuck shed skin. I'll look at it closer when she calms down some. She was in a 75 gal - and loving every minute of it, if she is rubbing her head, it will be now while I have the poor thing in a measly 20 gal long (I'm now looking frantically for a 75 gal for a reasonable price). I was guessing the other was the remnants of a rat bite. The caregiver said she had received marks from the live rats once in a while.

She was very curious and friendly when I picked her up at their house, so I don't think I'll have too many issues once she gets acclimated. The first owner held her all the time, and this lady seemed to think Athena missed being taken out of the tank, but she was afraid to hold her for long.

Overall she looks good. I'm going to weigh her tonight so I have a starting length and weight.

Thanks to everyone for all the hopeful wishes about me getting a snake -- obviously the message was heard LOUD and CLEAR and now I have been blessed with TWO! :D

But REALLY I have no more tank room....

well, I don't know, maybe that corner over there - if used a bookshelf and stacked them one over the other....

9. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Haha Stephanie I have the same room decorating issue. "I really have no more room. Well... Maybe over there... Or I could get rid of my bed to make space... Perhaps if I took all my clothes to my parents' and just wore one outfit so I had room in my closet... Maybe if I convince my landlady to use her spare room as a herp room..."

10. Frognut

My husband still is not aware that when we had the addition put on, I had the entire thing drawn up on graph paper with cut-outs of furniture, including tanks. Then I decided where windows, the one closet and furnishing were going to be rearranged so I had the most opportunity for tank placement! (sad, but true!)

Oh, and I weighed Athena - she is 2.1lbs. And I promise I'm not touching her again for another two weeks - unless I find her a bigger tank.

Sorry, Stefan, I avoided another opportunity for pics of a snake bite --- although she was really, REALLY agitated. I'd be surprised if she comes out of her boot-box hide for a while! I told her she should be happy - 2.1lbs is a perfect weight for her Goddess self, and she has a lovely slim tummy -- but she was having nothing to do with it!! :rolleyes:

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

duh i feel so dumb. i also have henry's old tank empty. 40 gallon breeder with wood top. let me know.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you were a real friend you`d be trying a little harder to pamper for my deep, deep need to see detailed shots of a strike and hit.......(In full glorious colour)...... (Obviously I`m being unreasonable in your very opinionated opinion)..... (Obviously)..... :confused:

She just needs a little more time to acclimate, I`m sure you`ll have a calm and well adjusted snake in the very near future.

13. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I don't have any pictures of snake bites, but one of our horses bit me on the stomach this morning... Silly stallion.