This Disappears When Logged In

Here She Is....

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Frognut, May 3, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

They named her Nuvo - which will be changed to something... (hubby is has not received inspiration yet!)

And size... try 4 1/2' (measured by me!) They are almost positive the previous owner got her last May and the snake was young (not a hatchling) - so is 4 1/2' more normal sounding for a 1 1/2year old corn??

dsc_0231.jpg

Despite the strike pose she is showing here - sorry, Stefan, no bite! She was a bit peeved when I tried to remove her from the travel tote...
    dsc_0233.jpg

Here is a close-up of the head, there is a spot that doesn't look right - possibly shed that didn't come off???
    dsc_0233_2.jpg

And another spot that I found - looking at it, it looked like a small area of brown colored scales - but on the enlarged photo it looks like something under the scales (blood maybe?) The person caring for it said it did get a few bits from the live rats - could that be a healing area?
    dsc_0232.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Congrats from the size I would say 2 1/2. Corns are funny they will also rattle their tail when PO'ed. Best of luck.

3. Frognut

Yeah - she rattled her tail when I stroked her side trying to get her out of the tote, it was funny! Especially since the tip was in a little hollow part of the tote and it sounded like a rattle snake!

She fed her 1 rat every three weeks, the snake has shed once since December and their really wasn't any basking spot in the tank to speak of -- she would turn on a 100watt blue daylight bulb once in a while.

Except for the spots I pointed out on the pic's she looks healthy, she has AMAZING muscle tone!! Despite the 4 cage clips I have on the tank, I think I'm putting my 400lb dictionary on it too, just in case! :eek:

4. Frognut

And she has been named.....

drumroll, please...

Please Welcome:
    Athena Parthenos to the home of the Frognut!

applause:applause:applause:applause

5. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Beautiful snake. Glad you could pick her up and put her in better conditions then what she was in and good name.

6. Frognut

I will give the caregiver credit - she knew she didn't know how to care for it. She was trying to help out a friend, liked snakes and thought she could care for one.

But once she had her, she was a tad frightened of it and realized liking snakes and owning one are two different things.

She was as excited as I was that it was going with me because she knew I wanted it and would make sure I could care for it. And despite the not so perfect conditions, Athena really looks healthy.

She will stay in her quarantine tank for a while and if anything develops I'll run her for a vet check.

And, thanks - I think she is beautiful, too! ;)

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Gorgeous! Yay Athena! And could the spot on her head be a pineal eye? I know beardies have them, but not so sure about snakes.

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

She is a beauty!! Congrats on the new addition, not sure about the marks, both could very well be from live food, but look like they are healing, a good soak would do her good :)

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Her colors are beautiful and she looks great. Hopefully she adjust to her new home quickly and hope you have lots of fun with her. Bye the way I love the name.:)
    Michele

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes do not have a parietal eye.
    Interesting looking patterns! It almost looks like a different snake than the original picture you showed us!
    And don't let the tail buzzing throw you off. I have several that have been with me for years that still do it once in a while.

11. Frognut

Thaks everyone!

The pattern is strong at the head and neck area and then falls off to a more subtle pattern to almost just a light pinkish color at the tail.

I finally had to just slide my hand up the body real quick to the head and pull her out. She was too stressed and the cats were starting to get too interested in what was in the new tote. And our shooing and yelling at the cats were not helping anyone.

I'm trying to find something larger for her now, she is NOT going to be happy in the 20 gal long after having all that room. I found a 40 gal breeder tank on Craigslist - I'm waiting to hear back (not hoping too much). I really want a 75 gal if I can find one reasonably priced -- she loved the space she had in that, and I have tank space for anything that is not longer than 4'.

Merlin, the tail buzzing threw me off because it sounded like a rattle snake since it was vibrating between a shallow nook in the tub. I thought for a second the lady didn't just have the size wrong...:eek:

And Stefan, Morgan did have the camera ready - just in case, but sorry to say (for you) it was not needed! :p

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Steph,
    she`s a beautiful girl, you`re a lucky lady! I notice she `s a bit of a redhead too, that`ll make her quite a handful, I think....
    (Nothing in common with you, then).....
    I don`t see anything strange on top of her head, but the missing/damaged scale on her back may be an old injury, possibly from a prey bite, it doen`t look much of a problem, if the scale`s missing it won`t grow back, but that`s of no importance. I can`t see anything that looks like blood either? Edit, yes, I see a little scale damage on the head, it doesn`t look serious , it will always be there though, but again, just cosmetic. It shows the (probable)? damage feeding live prey can do, and a rat could easily inflict fatal injuries.

Attached Files:

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm not sure how she would do in my 70 gallon with all the frog branches, but you could BORROW my old RETF tank on extended loan. Right now it just needs to have the dirt removed and be cleaned. You would need your own CHE and thermostat though, since I'm relocating them to the WTF tank....

Maybe Merlin can chime in if its suitable or not. I know they do climb, just not sure on the branch size I have in there currently, and they are not removable.

DSCN0623.jpg

Attached Files:

14. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations to you all!! Tank is still waiting for you! Did you try freecycle?

15. schlegelbagel

I keep an eye on our freecycle on a regular basis. Sometimes you can find 10 gallon tanks, never anything bigger though.

16. Frognut

Liz, you are a doll!! I would love to borrow it until I can get my own large tank - but just looking at the picture I would be concerned about the lower branch that goes across from left to right, I would be afraid her weight would snap it. She does love to climb, and I have a nice thick branch that she had in her previous tank that I could place in as well.

The other branches look shorter and secured in smaller segments, which should be ok. I already have a ceramic heat emitter - just looking for the thermostat.

I have two e-mails out to people on craigslist, I'm hoping I get a response (but my luck is never that good!)

Let's see what Merlin thinks (or anyone with more snake knowledge that I). I know she is 4 1/2' long, but not her weight. I don't own a scale and the one I use for my lizards is a tad... um... small for her! :rolleyes:

Kelly dear, as soon as we can get a vacation schedule down - we will be out to see you. i'm just thinking Athena might not want to wait a month or two... :D

17. schlegelbagel

The lowest branch is bamboo, its pretty sturdy, i was more worried about the grape vine at the top and the snake getting stuck or breaking it

more pics

DSCN0608.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

DSCN0621.jpg

Attached Files:

18. Frognut

Hmmm.. with the additional pics I can see that one branch at the top coming forward with no additional support - that could be a problem.

Ahtena is not that thick around the middle - just long and muscular. And I'd have to use something that would lock the lid -- she would just push that right up and out she would go...

I do not want to be responsible for messing up that beautiful tank! I'll try to find a way to get her weight. No other misc. tanks lying around Liz...? ;)

19. schlegelbagel

Yep, the grape vine is only attached to the back, and that's really my only worry. And yes, the tank would need a lock. You could do Merlin's Velcro trick, and then it wouldn't be that permanent.

20. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats. She is a beaut. Love the name.