This Disappears When Logged In

Helped Needed! Not Sure What Heat Mat to Us for a 75 Gallon Viv

Discussion in 'Heating' started by DarkSin08, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DarkSin08

DarkSin08 New Member

Hi all! New here so a big hello to everyone.

I have just recently got a 75 Gallon (48"x18"x21") Wooden Vivarium, which I'm looking to use for either a couple of Leopard Gecko's or a Bearded Dragon.

But I'm not to sure what size heat mat I would need to put under the Vivarium, would be very grateful if anyone could help. To be honest I will probably get a couple Leopard Gecko's as I just jumped on the wagon of looking after Reptiles and believe they are recommended as a Beginner Reptile.

Also, what other Heat sources would be useful to keep the recommended Temperatures for Leopard Gecko's in the Vivarium I have.

Kind regards.

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Typically for Leo's it is recommended to use an under-tank heater. However, you do not want to use these on wood enclosures. They are meant to stick to the bottom of a glass/acrylic tank. Leo's need belly heat so if heating from underneath isn't an option you need to have some sort of heat absorbing rock or tile under a basking bulb. Leo's typically do their "basking" inside their warm hide though, and heating that from above is going to be very difficult. If there's no way to use an under-tank heater you probably want to go with a bearded dragon which basks in sunlight.

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm wondering if you could cut a section out of the bottom of the tank making sure there is a lip on the underside, and place a large ceramic tile, like a 16" x 16" tile and then place either heat tape or an Under Tank Heater on the bottom of the tile. of course you would have to have some feet on the bottom of the tank for airflow.

4. DarkSin08

DarkSin08 New Member

Hi Justor,

Thank you for your advice! I am seriously thinking of getting a Bearded Dragon or Leo, they are both such fascinating reptiles, have always wanted either one. I may just get a small glass tank and get a Leo for that, then get my 75 gallon Viv setup for a Beardy.

5. DarkSin08

DarkSin08 New Member

Hi mld!

Thank you for you advice and idea. Sounds like it would work but, I seriously wouldn't know where to start, my DIY skills are not what so ever up to scratch, unless you have some other way of showing me what you mean?