This Disappears When Logged In

HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by 09msstang, Mar 27, 2012.

1. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

I think my baby boa is sick!!!! Im hearing a clicking sound when she breathes!!! Is that normal? Or should i be doing something to help her? Im freakin out please help guys!!!!

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

it is not normal, and could be one of two things, either a piece of shed left over in her nose or a respiratory infection.
    A) check her nose for a loose scale
    B)give us a rundown on how your keeping her...temps,humidity etc.
    C) Make a vet appointment,collect a fecal sample if possible to take with you

3. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Humidity is at 70-80% temp is usually about 70-75 i got her from a guy off craigslist i have moss everywhere for her plus a nice water/soaking dish an half a coconut shell with moss in there for the warm side and a bunch of moss for her cool side

4. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

I would raise her temps to 90 on the warm side and 80 on the cool side. Most people will say that's to warm. I have never had a problem. Humidity sounds good. Good luck.

5. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Im getting her a black light bulb tomorrow an i have mist of the top of her cage covered with a damp towel for humidity and heat keeping purposes

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

What are you using to measure your humidity and your temperatures?

A screen top will not help with keeping the heat and humidity in!

What is the size of your enclosure Length x Width x Height

How many hides, do you have a moist hide

How are you heating

A photo says a thousand words

Was your snake full of energy when you first picked him up, how was he delivered.

As much information that you can give would be great for members to help you out.

Why was this person selling him at such a young age, obviously he isn't the breeder if he didn't know the age.

Have you contacted this person, does he offer a health guarantee

7. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

I put a moist towel On the top and no the guy didnt do a health guarantee yes she was very active when i got her shes still very active im using a heating pad an yes i have 2 moist hides one is a pile of moss to burrow under and the other is a coconut shell on the warm side and im using a digital hydrometer and i have a thermostat for the tank so it doesnt get to hot or to cold the humidity is staying at a steady 80% and the temperature is between 75 an 80 now ill get a pic of the new set up since i rearranged it and in on my phone an cant post pics while im on my phone

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

1) your humidity is too high, a boa should be kept between 45% and 60%
    2) raise your temps, ambient temp should be between 78*(cool end) and 88*(warm end) with a basking spot of 90*-92*
    3) no need for moist hides unless there is a shedding issue
    4) remove the moss, it can cause an impaction if she ingests it while eating

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Please,PLEASE use punctuation, it will make it easier for us to read what your saying, I understand that your using your phone right now, but there are punctuation marks on the keypads for that reason. :)

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My rainbow boa sometimes made a clicking sound too. It was often just before she went "blue" for a shed. I think it had to do with the scales around her nostrils loosening.
    Follow the guidelines everyone else posted about temps, etc. I would keep the moss box/humid hide box in case she is going to shed.
    REAL warning signs are open-mouth breathing and/or bubbles or mucous coming out of her mouth and nose.
    BUT she might just have a blocked nostril scale. She's your new baby, so you are probably inclined to panic and notice all kinds of things. If you are really really worried, take her to a vet or to your breeder for a checkup.

11. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Mines not a regular boa its a rainbow boa a brazilian to be exact.

12. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

And i dont feed her in her tank either.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

14. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Thanks michele ill definitely take a look at them :) when i checked on her this morning an woke her up she was all squirmy and and kept trying to get close to my face to give kisses i think im not sure though hah

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Oops! Sorry thought we were talking about a red tail boa LOL guess I should read the header more thoroughly next time!

16. 09msstang

09msstang Elite Member

Yea red tails are slightly more desert like lol