This Disappears When Logged In

Help! Young Pacman Frog Not Eating on His Own

Discussion in 'Horned Frogs' started by aromatherapykim, Feb 1, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

My pac man frog hypno is not consistently eating. He will go underground for days at a time. Im pretty sure hes underweight. He is kept in a small critter keeper. He does not move around much and ive felt this would be easiest for him to hunt right now. Currently I tong feed him small to med crickets. He will open his mouth often if I touch the cricket to his face.
    I have a 5 gal tank with an overhead light. Should I move him to that or is it too big? How frequently? Should I change his substrate from cocoa coir to papertowels for a bit to monitor better.
    I haven't been able to get him to take dubia at all but if he will would that be better for him? 20140201_085849.jpg

2. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

3. sgun020

sgun020 Well-Known Member

Hi there

I'm not an expert but i do have 2 pacman frogs that i've been taking care of since they were babies. I can't see your frog clearly in the picture but i think he doesn't look underweight. What's the temperature in the tank? I don't use light with the frogs, instead i use undertank heater that i put on the side of their tanks.

How long have you been having the frog? There are many factors when one is not eating, such as temperature, change of season, stress, etc. if the frog is fairly new in your care, you might want to cover the sides to lessen the stress.

Pacman frogs are ambush predators, meaning they won't run around chasing preys, they wait until the prey gets closer and they jump to eat. I personally think if your frog has always been like this in your care, and he eats and defecates as normal, there's nothing to worry. My frogs only eat once every 2 weeks, when they're hungry they come out of their burrows, after food, they burrow themselves until they feel hungry...please keep the substrate you're using now to stimulate its natural behaviour, pacman frogs are happier when they can dig burrows...at least my frogs are like that...