This Disappears When Logged In

Help With What Species My Monitor Is??

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Chrisintokyo, Sep 22, 2017.

?

What species is my Monitor lizard is??

1. Tree monitor

33.3%
  2. Rough neck monitor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Peacock monitor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Or other??

66.7%
  1. Chrisintokyo

Chrisintokyo New Member

Hi,

I have a monitor lizard but I don't know what breed? I'm hoping someone can help figure it out.
    And if it is poisonous. I got in krabi Thailand. When it get aggressive it has little needle that comes out if its mouth. So it might be poisonous....
    Please help me.

Regard
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The only thing I can think of that you are describing as a needle is the tongue. That part is harmless.
    I will let our monitor folks see about the species.

3. Chrisintokyo

Chrisintokyo New Member

Merlin, thank you for the reply. I took to the shop today and they said it they think it is a peacock mo nitro. I don't think it is. As I got in Thai in the beach near the forest.

Looking forward to knowing

Regards

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it`s a Varanus bengalensis (Bengal monitor) a large male can reach 180cm. I too believe you are describing the tongue (which is harmless). Most varanids are venomous but they are of no danger to ourselves (apart from V. komodoensis and possibly V. salvator because of their size). Are you planning to keep the monitor?

AmityReptiles and Darkbird like this.
  5. Chrisintokyo

Chrisintokyo New Member

Hi murrindindi,

Thank you for your reply. So for the lateness as I'm in tokyo.
    I also thought it was a banger monitor too.... they do get big. I did bring back from Thailand and have at home now in a very big enclosure. Tho it is wild it has not been aggressive. Still Trying to figure what to feed it tho... yes I plan to keep it.

Regards

Chris

Attached Files:

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, can you tell me the size of the enclosure (fishtank?) and also say what the substrate is and it`s depth? I cannot see a suitable basking site, you need to provide an object that will retain heat (a flat stone/piece of wood/similar). Here is an example...
    I would also like to ask how you measure the ambient (air) temperature, the basking surface temperature and the humidity range and what all those are, finally, what type and wattage are the heat bulbs? Sorry for all the questions!
    23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You can offer small mice (frozen thawed or fresh killed only) roaches, crickets, locusts, waxworms/other insects (but not wild caught), fertilised quail eggs, small freshwater fish (not goldfish) freshwater shrimp/prawns (no lean meats or turkey mix)....