This Disappears When Logged In

Help With Vivarium

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Pookerdoo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Pookerdoo

Pookerdoo Member

I am currently building a vivarium for my wife and I to house a couple of red-eye tree frogs. I would like to know, how do I regulate the humidity with the screen top? I have coconut fiber substrate and a few plants that will form a canopy, and some sickly looking ferns that may or may-not take hold.
    I also would like to know what ivy and other plants would be good for the frogs?
    Also can I grow a water-plant in a deep water dish with some kind of submerged soil that the frogs would sit on? Or is this just a bad idea from the get-go? (I think the water dish is too deep for "small" tree frogs and they may drown. Thought of putting something in the bottom just to keep from having friends constantly saying "hey the water is low.")

Any help would be appreciated.

2. lovesreptiles

lovesreptiles Elite Member

i'm not a tree frog person, but i do know u can buy misters and they are fairly cheap. that would help with humidity.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Some use towels to cover the screen top.
    But I think pieces of plexi-glass cut to fit looks much better.
    Plus lets more light in.

4. Pookerdoo

Pookerdoo Member

Will Plexiglas block the UV light my plants need to grow?

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Take a look at my build. Wood top with a hole cut out for the heater. Your plants don't need UVB light, so don't worry about the plexiglass. However the plexi will block the heat.

What size is your tank?

I would put in just a water dish, something shallow and small. Make it easy to take out and replace. They don't need a lot of water. In the wild they soak in the crooks of leaves and plants that collect water in the canopy of the forest.

http://www.herpcenter.com/general-c...on-70-gallon-red-eye-tree-frog-tank-done.html

6. Pookerdoo

Pookerdoo Member

I am using a 20gl tall aquarium and plan to use an under-tank heater. I have plants growing around the pond/water dish already. Would like to grow some kind of water lily in the dish to make it shallower. Any suggestions?

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

An under tank heater will do nothing to get the ambient temps where you need them. You need heat from above. Plus heating the dirt is going to screw up the plants.

Use rocks to make the dish shallower.