This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Do you think I should freeze her? Like, not actually freeze her, but put her outside? I have her in a big bowl with a lid on my sunroom right now, which is probably about 45 degrees. But I don't want her to decompose while I figure out how to get the necropsy done (which I really want to do).

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Put her in a zip lock bag and place her in a cooler on ice.

3. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I'll have to go get some tomorrow, the ones I have aren't big enough. I'll put her in the cooler & put it outside for the night.

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

This mentions refrigerator temps and not freezer & cool down as quick as possible.

Necropsies: Post-Mortem Exams Help The Living

Edit: it also mentions

5. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Ugh... yeah it does. That's going to be very disturbing for me, but, I shall do it. At least I did cool her off though like that says, I rinsed her in the bathtub as soon as I took her out of her enclosure (she had bedding all over her). I don't think she was dead for too long before I got her out, checked on her before bed last night around 230am, she was gone this morning at 6.

6. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Very sorry to hear about her passing. Rescue business can be difficult. You at least gave her some comfert.

Definately avoid freezing if you can, it destroys tissue, making identification of cells difficult. The best thing is 10% formalin, it completly stops cell destruction and bacterial growth. But, thats something you would need to get from a vet. You have to be carful tho, because it is a carcinogen. Wear gloves.

Like mentioned, calling a veterinary university would be a good idea also. They may do it cheaper then a vet.

7. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry for your loss, LovelyMomma -- at least that poor snake had some last weeks with people who gave him warmth and the best care he's had in his life!
    You did everything you could and I'm sure his spirit is grateful.

8. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear she didn't make it :( I am glad to know she had someone to love her and take care of her before she passed away. She was brought to you for a reason you gave her peace and she helped you learn more about snakes and you found a great community in the process ;)

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm really sorry to hear this! It really bites to work so hard and still lose them.

10. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I'm so sorry to hear this! At least you gave it your all to try and save her.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

awww honey I am so sorry! At least now she is not suffering...these little creatures slither into our hearts so quickly,I am sorry for your loss :(

12. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

The vet has offered to do the initial necropsy for free, I just have to pay for whatever tests she wants to run. She ballparked it around $85-95. I'm taking Amali to her Wednesday, she said I should have my results by New Years.

13. angelboa

angelboa Elite Member

I hope you get answers and I hope it's not something that could have spread to your other snake babies!

14. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that the vet is going to do the initial necropsy for free! Keep us posted on the results

16. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member