This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

1. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

although it is a possibility that she is not a carrier, she was housed for months in the same enclosure with the same animals that all died from IBD (necropsy's were done)....but she survived.....you can see pictures of her "quirky" movement in my album...regardless I take all precautions to make sure any possible disease is not transmitted.

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Yeah, the risk is still there, and It would be a miracle that she didnt contract it. Have you ever considered having her worked up to see if there was any indication, other than her behavior I mean.

3. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Thanks. I thought it was bad when I woke up on Christmas morning 5 years ago to my puppy having parvo... This is unbelievably harder to bear. I'll be happy when we at least know what's wrong with her, and what route we can take to get her healthy again if it's possible.

I thought she was dead this morning :( She's not, but she's not moving much & her breathing is really heavy.

Just want you all to know that I made an appointment with a reputable reptile vet here for 8am Monday, hope she makes it that long.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

just keep her warm and comfortable and no unnecessary handling... and know that you are giving her better care than she has had previosly

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I looked into it but the cost and stress it would cause her outweighed the want to know aspect...as I look at it since she is eating,shedding,growing and doing everything else normally there is no need to put her through that. I keep her separate from the other animals and have all separate supplies for her,I am extra cautious just in case.

6. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I've managed to keep her skin at a steady 90. I want to change her bedding out for paper towels tonight though so she won't get any of the sani-chips in her mouth. Other than that, there will be no handling.

7. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

*sigh* She's not looking too good... Her eyes are very dilated and it looks almost like she's twitching, but subtly :(((

8. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Are there no emergency vets in your area? The way things seem to be progressing, she may not last until monday.

9. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

There's only 3 reptile vets period within 2 1/2 hrs. Earliest one any could get me in is Monday :(

10. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

It makes sense, why mess with a good thing.

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Im sorry, I guess all you can do is keep her warm, and wait.

12. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Yeah. I'm trying my best to stay out of the room... Just natural instinct to want to go check on her. Last time she was getting a drink of water, made me feel a little better. *fingers crossed*

13. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats a good sign. Usually critically ill animals will not bother drinking.

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

This is very sad and painful for me to even read about; LovelyMomma just know that you've tried your best and given her better care than she's probably EVER had in her life! :)
    If she dies, it won't be your fault... getting her to a vet today or tomorrow isn't going to change that if she's so far gone.
    Keep us posted.

15. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Amali gave up... We will be burying her later this week when some of this snow melts away.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear that she passed! :( She was obviously was very sick and you have done so much to help her and make her final days more comfortable.

17. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

Which is what I keep reminding myself. I did what I could... I knew it was coming though so I mentally prepared myself as much as I could. I want to thank all of you for all of your advice & support, I would've been even more of a lunatic without you.

18. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I'm sorry she passed. I think you should have a necropsy done.

19. LovelyMomma

LovelyMomma Elite Member

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow. As long as it's not much more than what I expected the visit to cost I'm going to.

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree! It would help in knowing just what it was and if it was IBD or not, I wonder if the vet schools would do this as a teaching aid.