This Disappears When Logged In

Help with Rescued Boa Please!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by LovelyMomma, Dec 10, 2011.

  1. Kernel

    Kernel Elite Member

    Are making her open her mouth or she doing it her self?
     
  2. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    He was making her. Does it make a difference?
     
  3. missabrat

    missabrat Elite Member

    Bump up her temps a couple of degrees....is her mouth swollen in the second picture?
     
  4. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    Yeah, idk what that orangish looking **** is though, didn't even see it until I was looking at the pictures.
     
  5. BarelyBreathing

    BarelyBreathing Elite Member

    She needs to see a vet
     
  6. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    Yes, I know.
     
  7. Kernel

    Kernel Elite Member

    I was just making sure she wasn't doing it her self. I wouldn't know what it meant if she was except that it wouldn't be good. Is that orange stuff puss?
     
  8. missabrat

    missabrat Elite Member

    it looks like infection set in, the only way to help her is a vet visit and antibiotics, with her mouth like that she will not eat,so I wouldn't even attempt it until she is better....I saw the rescue post, is there any way they may help out with the cost of vet care?
     
  9. angelboa

    angelboa Elite Member

    She does need a vet but untill that is able to happen keep her temps and humidity up. One thing my vet had me do when one of my boas had mouth rout was to put a few drops of iodine in his water to keep it stairle and I had to change his water daily. Good luck again I wish you the best with her. When this is all over she will be an amazing snake :)
     
  10. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    If that is an infection, it may explain the reluctance to feed.
    If you just came back from getting a tooth pulled and someone handed you a steak,......
     
  11. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    Yes, I'm assuming it's puss. I don't know what else is would be.
    Yeah, I know. I've tried calling all the reptile vets in my area, and none are in their office right now. Waiting on a few call backs. As far as the rescue goes, he says the only way he can help is to take the snake, but as I've stated I can't make the 4 hr trip.

    Thanks for the advice, I definitely need all the luck I can get.
    Yeah, it explains a lot. It wasn't there 4 days ago... Or maybe it was and just not that advanced. I don't know, I don't see any problems with my husbandry though.
     
  12. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Infectious Stomatitis, commonly referred to as "mouthrot, is often a subsequent event to an already stressed immune system. It may have been there and you didn't realize it.
    I know you said you are strapped for money but this snake really needs to see a vet.
     
  13. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    Yeah, I know. I'm waiting for these 2 call backs so I can see which one is the cheapest route. I'm getting a quote on initial screening, blood panel, and antibiotics. I hope that's all I'll need...
     
  14. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    This rescue just keeps telling me to euthanize :/

    "I honestly am not sure if there is a test for IBD or not. Our Board certified exotic vet doesn’t even want them brought into his office. All cases we suspect as IBD our vet recommends we euthanize here immediately, which is what I recommend you doing."
     
  15. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    So this place is telling someone who has no medical training and is merely questioning whether it may, or may not, be IBD based on some website reading, to euthanise an animal without even seeing it?
    I am not impressed!

    Part of the problem is you are guessing that it MAY be IBD, just explain the symptoms to them.
    And raise your basking spot to stay at 95.
     
  16. LovelyMomma

    LovelyMomma Elite Member

    Right. I will do that. IBD is the boogeyman, I swear. And I raised it last night.
     
  17. purplemuffin

    purplemuffin Elite Member

    There can be blood tests that help determine if the snake has the virus or not. They are not 100% guaranteed to tell you whether the snake has IBD, but they will be able to tell if the levels are where they are supposed to be and if it matches up with other snakes who have had IBD in the past.

    The true IBD test is done through a biopsy or a full necropsy and has in the past always been done on an already euthanized snake. Recently though, vets have lightly sedated snakes and have been able to locate the liver through a very very small incision and have been able to collect a proper sample to test for IBD. But there is cost associated with this. Most biopsies on live snakes are less than 200, but that doesn't include taking and testing the sample.

    Diagnosing Snake Inclusion Body Disease and the Value of a Snake Necropsy
     
  18. MadDog

    MadDog Elite Member

    Just read through everything and just wanted to say that I hope things work out for y'all! I know how stressful it can be to deal with a sick animal. Keep your head up and don't give up! :)
     
  19. missabrat

    missabrat Elite Member

    Wow I certainly would refrain from taking her to them,you know they would euthanize her :(

    My boa MAY be a carrier of IBD,it is undetermined if it was she that came into the "rescue" where I got her from or if another animal came in with it,they had mites and housed all of the larger boas and pythons together,every one of those animals died within 3 months,mine being the only survivor... She has weird head movements and cannot right herself at times, but eats like a champ and has grown from 5ft, 12lbs (and gravid) to 8.5 ft and 30 lbs in the 3 years she has been with me....even if she is a carrier,putting her down would be the last thing in my mind unless she got to the point where she were exhibiting worsening symptoms

    at the time of my adopting her I was told she sustained a possible neck trauma when a shelf MAY have fallen in the enclosure....
     
  20. bucher70

    bucher70 Elite Member

    Im gonna say that the possibility of your boa having IBD is pretty low, being she is still alive. Boas can be asymptomatic carriers, for a time, but it is fatal in the end, usually due to secondary complications.
    Regardless, euthanasia shouldnt be considered without a proffessional opinion/workup.

    Most rescues, be it reptile or dog/ cat, will euthanise animals that have the potential to endanger healthy animals.
    Upper respiratory and ringworm positive cats are euthanised as well as parvo puppies. All are usually treatable, but run rampant in a kennal situation. Sad, I know, but its all about the greater good. Especially since rescues of all kinds have limited help and funding. So I do understand the rescues viewpoint on euthanizing suspect IBD cases.
     

Share This Page